Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Hunting Tips Needed

Old 08-08-2015, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default Bear Hunting Tips Needed

Hello All,
I'll be hunting bear in the second Colorado rifle season in an area I have seen bears, fresh and old tracks in the same area in April while turkey hunting.
Maps show this area to be bear habitat all year with water, lots of scrub oak in an open area, big game trails with pine stands on both sides a hidden road with lots of sign and a S. facing slope with lots of scrub oak with one big game trail. This area has lots of Elk that I will also be hunting and some dear.
I plan to set up my tree stand in the scrub oak area with pine stands on both sides ( this area may have a hidden creek just in the pines) or the hidden road where I saw a bear heading to and saw all the tracks.
My question is where would you set up? and What bear scents would you use ? Any tips would be very much appreciated !!
Old 08-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Uness you are going to hunt a baited stand I would hunt on the ground and still hunt through the thickest stuff that is there. If you are going to hunt a baited stand, it must be baited for a while before you hunt in order to get the bear used to coming to the bait. I don't know if baiting bear is legal in Colorado.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Oldtimr, I may have to spot and stalk but I will try the tree stand first, Baiting bears or any other wild life is Illegal in Colorado.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is illegal to bait in PA as well, most folks here either put on drives for ear of still hunt the thick stuff and swamps.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

What Oldtimr said. If you are just hoping to see a bear while hunting then taking a stand may not be very productive. Exceptions might be a mast crop or berries. But then you have to hope the bear wanders in range. Most stand hunters use bait stations to increase the odds of seeing bears. (the area as you describe it would be a good place for a bait.)

It might be more effective to keep your eyes open while you hunt for Elk etc. You might get lucky and see one you like.

Good luck this season.

Last edited by Mickey Finn; 08-09-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try calling them in.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Try calling them in.
I wouldn't mind trying my hand at this.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know some guys who were not calling bears but coyotes with a fawn bleat call in in came Mr Bruin. I have also heard of bears coming in to turkey calling in the spring season.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Younger bears as well as hungry bears will come in to most any predator calls. Older bears will if they are really close by. Fawn bleats and distressed rabbit has called in a few for me years ago when I hunted bear. Called a few in with doe bleats as well. Never had one come in to a turkey call though. New one on me. Glad none have. A turkey load could kill one if you hit it JUST RIGHT but more than likely you will just pee it off!
Old 08-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

Had one come into a turkey call in the spring acouple of years ago. Got to about 40yards and smelled us and took off the way he came.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.