HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Bear Hunting Tips Needed (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/400693-bear-hunting-tips-needed.html)

RockyMtnGobblers 08-08-2015 09:55 AM

Bear Hunting Tips Needed

Hello All,
I'll be hunting bear in the second Colorado rifle season in an area I have seen bears, fresh and old tracks in the same area in April while turkey hunting.
Maps show this area to be bear habitat all year with water, lots of scrub oak in an open area, big game trails with pine stands on both sides a hidden road with lots of sign and a S. facing slope with lots of scrub oak with one big game trail. This area has lots of Elk that I will also be hunting and some dear.
I plan to set up my tree stand in the scrub oak area with pine stands on both sides ( this area may have a hidden creek just in the pines) or the hidden road where I saw a bear heading to and saw all the tracks.
My question is where would you set up? and What bear scents would you use ? Any tips would be very much appreciated !!
:fighting0007:

Oldtimr 08-08-2015 10:26 AM

Uness you are going to hunt a baited stand I would hunt on the ground and still hunt through the thickest stuff that is there. If you are going to hunt a baited stand, it must be baited for a while before you hunt in order to get the bear used to coming to the bait. I don't know if baiting bear is legal in Colorado.

RockyMtnGobblers 08-08-2015 10:44 AM

Thanks Oldtimr, I may have to spot and stalk but I will try the tree stand first, Baiting bears or any other wild life is Illegal in Colorado.

Oldtimr 08-08-2015 10:48 AM

It is illegal to bait in PA as well, most folks here either put on drives for ear of still hunt the thick stuff and swamps.

Mickey Finn 08-08-2015 10:51 AM

What Oldtimr said. If you are just hoping to see a bear while hunting then taking a stand may not be very productive. Exceptions might be a mast crop or berries. But then you have to hope the bear wanders in range. Most stand hunters use bait stations to increase the odds of seeing bears. (the area as you describe it would be a good place for a bait.)

It might be more effective to keep your eyes open while you hunt for Elk etc. You might get lucky and see one you like.

Good luck this season.

Muley Hunter 08-08-2015 11:31 AM

Try calling them in.

Mickey Finn 08-09-2015 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4211546)
Try calling them in.

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at this.

Oldtimr 08-09-2015 11:15 AM

I know some guys who were not calling bears but coyotes with a fawn bleat call in in came Mr Bruin. I have also heard of bears coming in to turkey calling in the spring season.

super_hunt54 08-09-2015 11:46 AM

Younger bears as well as hungry bears will come in to most any predator calls. Older bears will if they are really close by. Fawn bleats and distressed rabbit has called in a few for me years ago when I hunted bear. Called a few in with doe bleats as well. Never had one come in to a turkey call though. New one on me. Glad none have. A turkey load could kill one if you hit it JUST RIGHT but more than likely you will just pee it off!

Bbj270 08-09-2015 02:30 PM

Had one come into a turkey call in the spring acouple of years ago. Got to about 40yards and smelled us and took off the way he came.