Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Recovering a BIG Black Bear >

Recovering a BIG Black Bear

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Recovering a BIG Black Bear

Old 12-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Cool idea RR.
And the kids can use it as a toboggan after the season is over.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know its not possible whereyou can't use dogs, but on big bear (though we have so many 300+ is big here) but we make sure the big bear are close to where we can get a vehichel before we shoot them. we dragged my 210 pounder 80 yards yesterday. and I caught hell for shooting him so far from the road, but I was busted, we had been on him all day, he would just walk and fight the dogs. so I borrowed a gun and ended it before he bit up more dogs
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 12-11-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

I always loved chasing the dogs all over the mountain. It was my uncle's pack of Plotts and we were running cats, not bears, but it sure was fun. We killed some, but they weren't hard to carry out like a bear would be.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never hunted bears behind dogs but would love to try it. Was thinking about doing this with my 11 boy. We tried the bait thing in Canada but it was boring.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

You could try using your hunting skills instead of a dogs, or bait.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live in PA and we don't use dogs or bait. And I've hunted bear here and been successful.

You shouldn't disparage legal hunting methods in other states, though. It divides our ranks.

I want to get my young son on a bear. We hunted in Quebec over bait and was thinking about doing the dog hunt with him. I'm not interested in challenging myself. I was looking for something fun to do together that has a reasonable expectation of success.

Man, you're a ball-buster.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Mulley you ever tire hunting with dogs it's one of the most challenging hunts their Is. Especially if you run with the dogs.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bbj270
Mulley you ever tire hunting with dogs it's one of the most challenging hunts their Is. Especially if you run with the dogs.
So is running a marathon, but the dogs are doing the hunting, and then the hunter shoots it out of a tree.

I don't get it?
Old 12-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
I live in PA and we don't use dogs or bait. And I've hunted bear here and been successful.

You shouldn't disparage legal hunting methods in other states, though. It divides our ranks.

I want to get my young son on a bear. We hunted in Quebec over bait and was thinking about doing the dog hunt with him. I'm not interested in challenging myself. I was looking for something fun to do together that has a reasonable expectation of success.

Man, you're a ball-buster.
I just watched the Eastman's hunt bear in Canada. On the ground, no dogs, no bait, no glassing that I could see. He snuck up on a big bore to within 20yds, and killed it with a bow.

I can respect a hunt like that. You don't need to use bait.

Yes, make the hunt fun for your son, but please as he gets older show him other ways to hunt. Let him make up his mind on what method he likes best.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

We kill very few bears but tree slot. It's more.for the chase then the kill. Only kill if it's a extremism big one or a kid is along, or if it's killing dogs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.