Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Recovering a BIG Black Bear >

Recovering a BIG Black Bear

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Recovering a BIG Black Bear

Old 12-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
If only 2% of the bear taken are over 500lbs, then you best be prepared. Can't count on shooting a small one.
Agreed but using the above scenario, there is a 98% chance that a bear won't be huge. Shoot it, gut it, attach a line to it and slide it to the truck like you would a good sized buck. But, have a few friends on speed dial in case Yogi's big brother decides to come to the party.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your only real option: rope, stick and a bunch of friends.

In NH we have moose the come out whole, they do it by:
- paying a logger with a skidder
- last resort: chain saw winch or come along and go tree to tree til you are out.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

- last resort: chain saw winch or come along and go tree to tree til you are out.
We were thinking about this with our last bear. We made a harness with 5 seperate ropes and had 5 guys pull from the front. We had the bear on a piece of plastic so it could slide on the snow. We had our 6th man walking with the bear and trying to keep it from rolling off the plastic. Once we got it out of the swamp, we had a couple hundred yards to go. We had a guy with a small saw walk in front of the ATV and cut down saplings so we could fit it back. The last couple hundred yards were through overgrown clear cut so it was tight.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

I think the USFS would have my ass for cutting a road in to a dead bear. I guess that's why we don't have the "whole bear" rule here.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

We were cutting on private property. Mostly striped maple, which we all hate.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

get you a magnum deer cart and put the double wheels on it...takes you up to 700lbs...the deer cart works great.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products
Old 12-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

[QUOTE=Wilcam47;4106553]get you a magnum deer cart and put the double wheels on it...takes you up to 700lbs...the deer cart works great.

***Those carts are great if you have even terrain without a lot of trees, etc, to interfere. I have the first one in the link you posted and used it for a few years out in Wyoming, but when we started going to the better deer areas with nasty terrain where we had success we found it was easier to bone them out and backpack them out. I also tried to use it a couple times up at my place in northern MI and once it worked fine when the ground was solid and I got on a trail with it. The other time the deer was down in a wetter area where the cart would sink in a few inches and it was then impossible to move it. I ended up boning that buck out and bringing him out in my backpack just like we do in Wyoming.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have a deer cart and it's not to good in our terrain. Swampy or rocky, overgrown with blueberry, laurel or overgrown clear cut. It was a chore to get the cart back in by itself.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

here is what ya do, build one of these and stash it near your hunting sight, they drag beeter than anything I've found, I've dragged200 pounders a mile out by myself with it, slides over rocks and leaves like nothing, its indestructible

RR
Old 12-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Good post RR, Never thought about that. Now I have a use for some of them barrels I have sitting around.... Now if I can just find a bear to shoot
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.