Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

243 for elk

Old 09-16-2013, 04:22 AM
  #21  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: WY
Posts: 2,056
Default

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
The 243 is great for women, kids or anyone who is okay with keeping their shots at very close distances. IT IS NOT THE BEST CHOICE FOR THE AVERAGE JOE GOING ON HIS ONE WEEK ELK HUNT!

You would argue with your own Mom and then make up a bull sh*# story to prove her wrong!
Did I say it was the BEST CHOICE? If your response to everything you don't want to believe is to infer that they're lying? Holy cow, what unadulterated arrogance.

You need a .300 WSM so that you can shoot elk at 300 yards? Fine. I don't. First, there isn't a park in the areas I hunt that's 300 yards long to begin with. Maybe down on the rancher's pasture, but not up on the National Forest unless you're shooting 1500 yards across the canyons. Most of the time, we're in the timber, and shots there might go 75 yards. A .30-06 works just fine for me today, now that I have a choice in what rifle I take to the field. The bottom line though is YOU DON'T KNOW. You just don't. I don't care that your (CO) season's only a week long, mine (WY) isn't. You don't hunt with me, and you never will, not if you were the last "hunting buddy" on the planet. You'd be wise to stop judging people and their experiences based upon your own.

It's time for you to start accepting that there are other people out there in the field and we might hunt differently than you do. It doesn't make you wrong, but it certainly doesn't make you right, either.

34 years ago this fall I went into the Weminuche for the first time after elk. Everyone told me I needed a bigger rifle than a .243. That is, everyone but my game wardens and mentors (Herb Browning and Glen Eyre - may they RIP). If this forum had been available back then and I'd listened to someone the likes of you, that experience would never have happened. I didn't bag an elk that first season, but I was hooked, and I bagged three elk with that very same rifle while I was in college.

I don't agree with using a .223 to hunt deer, but now that it's legal in Wyoming to do so, I feel a stronger responsibility to get someone into the woods if that's the only rifle they have, than I do to bash them for not having a bigger rifle. I'm not going to judge them because they're using a small rifle, I'm going to expect them to be responsible with it and to use it well, to learn the skills and fieldcraft necessary, because hunting isn't about what rifle you're shooting to begin with. If they're sitting on the couch watching football instead because I told them "it wasn't enough gun" - then I've failed. We've ALL failed.

Awhile back you'd posted about the forum going downhill. Why? Take a look in the mirror. It's people who sit in judgment of others like you've been doing since I've been reading your posts. It's one thing to refute something based on science, it's another altogether to do so on the basis of opinion. No one else uses enough gun (opinion). Only you know what happens when someone else buys a firearm (opinion). Only you know when the forum is going downhill (opinion). Only you know. And that's the problem.

You want to continue the personal attack from here? I backed out of our last conversation because it detracted from the OP's original question. Unless you've bagged an elk with a .243, this thread isn't about you, so it's time for you to either calm down or go away.
homers brother is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 02:12 PM
  #22  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Buffalo, WY
Posts: 992
Default

By GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bullcamp82834 is offline  
Old 09-20-2013, 04:36 AM
  #23  
Nontypical Buck
 
Colorado Luckydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Huntin' In Colorado
Posts: 2,910
Default

Originally Posted by homers brother
Unless you've bagged an elk with a .243, this thread isn't about you, so it's time for you to either calm down or go away.
I've never bagged an elk with a .23 and never will. It's not the right tool for the job. Most elk hunters are smart enough to realize that fact.

We will never know if you really bagged one or not with a 243 because BS is BS and one never knows if a BS'er is BSing or not. In other words, I don't believe a thing you have to say anymore. Have a nice day Homer.
Colorado Luckydog is offline  
Old 09-20-2013, 04:37 AM
  #24  
Nontypical Buck
 
Colorado Luckydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Huntin' In Colorado
Posts: 2,910
Default

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
By GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good post.
Colorado Luckydog is offline  
Old 09-20-2013, 07:00 PM
  #25  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: WY
Posts: 2,056
Default

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
I've never bagged an elk with a .23 and never will. It's not the right tool for the job. Most elk hunters are smart enough to realize that fact.

We will never know if you really bagged one or not with a 243 because BS is BS and one never knows if a BS'er is BSing or not. In other words, I don't believe a thing you have to say anymore. Have a nice day Homer.
Well, here's Judge Luckydog again, the knower of all things.

What it really comes down to is that no one here has any more credibility than anyone else does. For all we really know, you park yourself in front of your TV and watch hunting shows while you polish your prized .300 WSM. We don't know that you really hunt at all, other than what you tell us about. Does that make you a BSer?

It's very simple. Unless you were "Sales Rep: 58NW", you don't have a clue what happened at "18:12:11" on "9/24/10". I still have the CR Receipt (Invoice HZ2926458), you don't have anything other than your opinion. Unless you were my college roommate from 1983-1985 and hunted elk with me those seasons with your .30-30 in the Medicine Bow N.F., you won't know that the only rifles I owned then were a .22LR and a .243. I have the memories of our not relying on ramen noodles for dinner every night. You have nothing more than your opinion. As far as anything I've done or will do, the only thing you'll ever have of them will be your opinion. So, go ahead Judge Luckydog, judge away.

I'm not going to call you a BSer because I'm smart enough to know better than to question or judge the experiences of others when I've not been a participant. I might take something you say with a grain of salt, but I'm not going to take a risk responding to you with something that I can't back up with more than just my opinion.

You have a nice day too, CLD. For both our sakes, I hope hunting season gets here soon.
homers brother is offline  
Old 09-20-2013, 08:24 PM
  #26  
Nontypical Buck
 
Colorado Luckydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Huntin' In Colorado
Posts: 2,910
Default

Originally Posted by homers brother
Well, here's Judge Luckydog again, the knower of all things.
I'm not the knower of all things but I have been around long enough to smell a fishy story when I hear one.

Either one of two things happened in your preposterous story....

1. You are full of it and it never happened either close to the way you told it or....

2. In your own words...... " Fact is, I relieved him of the still-assembled shotgun, the case, choke tubes, wrench, oil, and the rest of my paperwork, and headed out the door for my truck once whatever they do at "final checkout" was done."

If you really did grab the gun away from the kid and rush out in the parking lot and cause some poor lady to wreck her mini van, then that's on you. The people at Jax would not have let that happen. They would get fired for it. I can't wait to go to Jax and show them this and the other thread. They will laugh their butts off.

Again I will say, I have bought guns there and my friends have bought guns with me there with them. They would not let happen what you say happened.

You tell very wild stories to try and prove your point. It's not working at all and I don't believe a word you have to say.

Hunting season has already started here and the killing has begun. I hope it starts for you very soon. I'm tired your reading your stupid, unrealistic never happened in a million years stories.
Colorado Luckydog is offline  
Old 09-20-2013, 08:49 PM
  #27  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 1,778
Default

I live in PA.
Tundra10 is offline  
Old 09-21-2013, 05:28 AM
  #28  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: WY
Posts: 2,056
Default

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
I'm tired your reading your stupid, unrealistic never happened in a million years stories.
lol - Then it should be simple for you: don't read them! And I'll try not to read posts where you take it as your right to run someone else down just because they don't agree with your opinion.

We'll both be happier then.
homers brother is offline  
Old 09-21-2013, 10:03 AM
  #29  
Nontypical Buck
 
redgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,081
Default

A 243 will kill an elk, all things being perfect. A 22 rimfire will kill them too. That doesn't mean that it is the best tool for the job. I personally haven't shot an elk with one, and never will. I bought a model 70 in 243 years ago, shot 2 whitetail with it, and then sold it. I was not impressed with the perormance at all.
redgreen is offline  
Old 09-21-2013, 01:48 PM
  #30  
Giant Nontypical
 
Sheridan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location:
Posts: 5,130
Default

After all the Alaskan Aleut Indians kill polar bears with a .22LR.



You can also bang a nail in a board with a wrench................

I prefer to use a hammer !!!
Sheridan is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.