Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate? >

Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate?

Old 12-24-2012, 03:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Very good post. Thanks for sharing your well thought out perspective.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

huckelberry,

Hard to know where to start with you. You said so many ridiculous things I can't address them all. Let me just sum it up easily.

Fair chase is not how easy it is compared to another hunter, but how easy is it for the game to use it's natural defenses. One of them is flight. If an animal can't get away, because of high fences. It stops trying. It knows it's trapped. Some of the farms have animals that have lost their fear of humans. When an animal has lost it;s fear of humans, and feels trapped. It's no different than killing them at a zoo.

When you take that 500-1000yd shot you have taken away the senses again. It can't see you, hear you, or smell you. It's just a sitting duck.

Baiting is a sensitive subject. You have to look hard at any method that's not legal in all states. There's a reason why some states thinks it's unfair. I watched a show last night on TV. The hunt was in Canada for bear. The hunter was from the US. He showed up for this paid hunt to hunt private land. The stand was all setup. It was actually a permanent stand. The bait was all setup for him. He simply climbed into the stand, waited, and shot a bear that came in to feed on the bait. A person who had never hunted in their life could have made the kill. It was 20 yds away. I fail to see any hunting skill in what he did, but that's me.

I could go on and on, but I want my point to get across. We all have out own level of what sort of challenge we want from hunting. I don't care how anybody else hunts. I really don't. When I describe how I hunt. I'm never trying to tell anybody that you should all hunt my way. I just telling you how I like to hunt, and the challenge i've accepted. My dad taught me to still hunt when I was a youngster. He taught me well, and I learned to be good at it. However, being young, I was curious and tried all hunting methods. So, I do know what challenges all the methods offer. I discovered I didn't enjoy a hunt unless it challenged me the most, and gave the game all the natural defenses it has. I've passed on shots, because I felt it was too easy. I never had regrets in doing that. I've never been a trophy hunter. I leave antlers on the ground. I hunt for a fair hunt, and the meat.

So, to sum it up. Don't misunderstand someone being passionate about how they hunt, with them saying my way is the only way.

As for your son. All hunters who have handicaps should use whatever method will work for them, and i've never seen anybody have a problem with it. However, when you see someone who is healthy using the same method. It raises an eyebrow.

The bottom line is use any method you want. If it makes you happy. That' should be what counts for you. If you want approval from the whole hunting community? I doubt you're going to get it.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
The bottom line is use any method you want. If it makes you happy. That' should be what counts for you. If you want approval from the whole hunting community? I doubt you're going to get it.
I must have missed something because that is what I got out of his post. His post generated a lot of thoughts on my part about what he said. I can understand what he said and why he said it. I couldn't fault a person or a post for that. I enjoyed reading his post because he was thinking and I feel he articulated it well.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-24-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't agree with him saying hunters who are saying their way of hunting is the only way of doing it.

If I don't like how you hunt. It doesn't mean i'm telling you to do it my way. It simply means I wouldn't like doing it your way.

I don't see it as we're turning against each other?

The topic of this thread is about high fence hunting compared to fair chase. It's asking us for our opinions. If someone wants to pay big money for an easy hunt, and then on top of it claim a trophy. Good for them. Ask me what I think of it, and i'll tell you I wouldn't do it. It has nothing to do with me turning against those who do.

Huckleberry doesn't seem to see it that way, and thinks we should all be hugging and singing around the campfire.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I didn't agree with him saying hunters who are saying their way of hunting is the only way of doing it.

If I don't like how you hunt. It doesn't mean i'm telling you to do it my way. It simply means I wouldn't like doing it your way.

I don't see it as we're turning against each other?

The topic of this thread is about high fence hunting compared to fair chase. It's asking us for our opinions. If someone wants to pay big money for an easy hunt, and then on top of it claim a trophy. Good for them. Ask me what I think of it, and i'll tell you I wouldn't do it. It has nothing to do with me turning against those who do.

Huckleberry doesn't seem to see it that way, and thinks we should all be hugging and singing around the campfire.
I just re-read his post and I just don't see it that way. I already said my piece on canned hunting on page 1 and have had that position for years. I also understand and acknowledge that others don't share my opinion and that is Ok with me. I am a fair chase guy and that's the way I hunt. I really don't care how others approach it as long as it is legal.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-24-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

His quote.

"Where am I going with this? I have noticed a huge discussion going on within the hunting community. The talk, the debate, and the buzz have concentrated mainly on the concept of fair chase and those elements which define fair chase. It's only fair if we do it this way or that. We are nobody, or worse yet "scum", if we do not do it the Barta Way or as the Drury Brothers would have us. "
Old 12-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
from someone who has probably heard, "your not ethical" or "thats not even hunting" more times than I can count let me say whatever floats your boat, its about enjoying the outdoors in any legal way you want.
like the guy who killed the spider bull a few years ago, he had an army of guides setting on that bull for weeks, he paid big money for a rifle tag when everyone else had to use archery equipment, but that was to him hunting, so let anyone who does it in a different way enjoy themselves, thats the satisfaction of hunting.
RR
Yep! He's free to do anyway he wants if it's legal. He'll probably impress a lot of people with the kill too.

I won't tell him it's wrong, but don't expect me to be impressed.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ditto that Muley Hunter!!! IMHO guys that are using wealth to literally buy big animals that a throng of scouts and guides have hunted down and watched until they get there to squeeze the trigger are "buyers", not hunters!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-24-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Ditto that Muley Hunter!!! IMHO guys that are using wealth to literally buy big animals that a throng of scouts and guides have hunted down and watched until they get there to squeeze the trigger are "buyers", not hunters!
Good way to put it. I don't know that I ever heard that one before.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
They are not even close to being hunters. Good post Topgun.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 12-24-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.