HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate?
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Muley Hunter
Giant Nontypical

huckelberry,

Hard to know where to start with you. You said so many ridiculous things I can't address them all. Let me just sum it up easily.

Fair chase is not how easy it is compared to another hunter, but how easy is it for the game to use it's natural defenses. One of them is flight. If an animal can't get away, because of high fences. It stops trying. It knows it's trapped. Some of the farms have animals that have lost their fear of humans. When an animal has lost it;s fear of humans, and feels trapped. It's no different than killing them at a zoo.

When you take that 500-1000yd shot you have taken away the senses again. It can't see you, hear you, or smell you. It's just a sitting duck.

Baiting is a sensitive subject. You have to look hard at any method that's not legal in all states. There's a reason why some states thinks it's unfair. I watched a show last night on TV. The hunt was in Canada for bear. The hunter was from the US. He showed up for this paid hunt to hunt private land. The stand was all setup. It was actually a permanent stand. The bait was all setup for him. He simply climbed into the stand, waited, and shot a bear that came in to feed on the bait. A person who had never hunted in their life could have made the kill. It was 20 yds away. I fail to see any hunting skill in what he did, but that's me.

I could go on and on, but I want my point to get across. We all have out own level of what sort of challenge we want from hunting. I don't care how anybody else hunts. I really don't. When I describe how I hunt. I'm never trying to tell anybody that you should all hunt my way. I just telling you how I like to hunt, and the challenge i've accepted. My dad taught me to still hunt when I was a youngster. He taught me well, and I learned to be good at it. However, being young, I was curious and tried all hunting methods. So, I do know what challenges all the methods offer. I discovered I didn't enjoy a hunt unless it challenged me the most, and gave the game all the natural defenses it has. I've passed on shots, because I felt it was too easy. I never had regrets in doing that. I've never been a trophy hunter. I leave antlers on the ground. I hunt for a fair hunt, and the meat.

So, to sum it up. Don't misunderstand someone being passionate about how they hunt, with them saying my way is the only way.

As for your son. All hunters who have handicaps should use whatever method will work for them, and i've never seen anybody have a problem with it. However, when you see someone who is healthy using the same method. It raises an eyebrow.

The bottom line is use any method you want. If it makes you happy. That' should be what counts for you. If you want approval from the whole hunting community? I doubt you're going to get it.