Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Old 09-01-2003, 03:00 PM

Default RE: Ready, Get Set, Go!

ELK

you wantto tlak about getting readyI started JAn 20 at a weight of 232 aFAT slow out of shape guy who turned forty last year and has been a whitetail hunter for 20 years out west for the last 7. Two kids and 10 years of marriage added to the extra weight i guess!

Fast forward to Sept 1 2003, Now weight 192 went on the Adkins diet on Jan20 and have been running every other day since mid June. Since June I have logged 178 miles as of today! ran 5.5 miles this AM in 52:45 my best time ever!

s far as my bow goew beem shooting at least every other day since July 1 Would not heistate to take a 45 yards shot at the right angle!

Started shooting my rifle two weeks ago and its dialed and ready!

I have asked lots of quesiton here and found this website more helpful than any one person that I could have ever spoken too!!

My problem now is pearing down what gear I am Going to TAKE! That is tough I have posted lots of question here and still continue to do so!

Thakns to all who have made this process easirer and better!

RH
Old 09-01-2003, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

This twister feller is talkin' sense. All that fat an' protein makin' his carnivorous brain click on all cylinders, I reckin' . He' s gonna be in fine shape. Don' t take conditioning too lightly. Now ' scuse me while I put down this donut an' see if I can find my mountain bike in the garage.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:11 AM

THanks BJ I only hope I can be so lucky as to have some of that humor in our CAMP TOO!!

RH
Old 09-03-2003, 04:18 PM

I' m new to hunting and have jumped on a chance to go elk hunting this fall. While I figured I' d take time and " work up" to elk, I couldn' t pass on the chance to go with an experienced, knowledgeable group. I' m having to scramble to put together a shopping list of equipment I hadn' t gotten to yet, plus the extra gear needed for a week long elk camp.

Having a dim understanding of what I may face, the word " anxious" with both its positive and negative emotions is a good way to summarize my anticipation of the experience. While I certainly hope to make a shot, I understand that that' s where the real work begins. I' m part wanting to make a shot, and part afraid that I' ll actually be successful.

NewBoarHunter - In sharing my hunting plans with a friend, he related the experience of a co-worker who, with a partner, harvested a bull about 7 miles back somewhere in Washington. His calculation was about 48 man hours to finish the job. I have no idea if that meant butchering the meat or just hauling it back to camp, deboned or not. Evidently after that he decided that that would be a " once in a lifetime experience" .