Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
New Mexico Outfiitter Issue - Need advice >

New Mexico Outfiitter Issue - Need advice

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New Mexico Outfiitter Issue - Need advice

Old 09-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default New Mexico Outfiitter Issue - Need advice

Some of you may be aware of my situation for my elk hunt in New Mexico. Well tonight I spoke to the outfitter as a follow up and getting the emotions out of the way and then asking for what I felt was fair..
I was in Unit 16b/22.....I love hunting in that unit, however I think I will be finding a new outfitter as I called them tonight.....here is the conclusion I came too.
We signed up for a 2 on 1 hunt which the cost was $3800 for a 6 Day Wilderness Hunt. As presented, this was to include being packed into a spike camp, with a giuide going the wranglin', cooking and calling. We had 3 hunters in camp with only 1 guide.....which he took the other hunter the first 3 days....(which he tagged a bull on the 3rd morning)
To say I didn't get something the first 3 days would not be accurate. What I did get for those 3 days was a drop camp style hunt. A guide in camp to wrangle the horses & mules, cook meals and pack an animal if need be...for that the average price in the Gila is $1200, half of that is $600...we paid $3800 for our hunt, half of that since we had a guide for 3 days is $1900....my total should be the sum of the $600 & the $1900...with the difference from $3800 & $2500....refunded to me $1300...I think that is fair. When I asked for that I was told they were going to talk...question is they knew we were not satisfied so what did they do since we left camp Friday night until today ? Guess they never talked about what they needed to do in order for us to be made right...
It took me another 35 minutes to have the same conversation I had the night I returned from my camp..to be told they need to talk. The only difference is at camp I had no idea what a drop camp would cost so to give a figure would of been fair. I wouldn't ask for half back because like I said, I did get something.
I was informed at the end of my conversation that I do not understand emergencies not, sure what that means, other than the fact that the guide we were to have had an emergency and could not make it...
Like I said before, we never had any options....they were made for us...we were told the guide would be in the first day...he never showed...heck the guide we had wasn't told by the owner to rely any inform...he was left, like us to assume he wasn't coming..
Your thoughts ???

Old 09-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

So you hunted 6 days on your own? no guide? did you get an elk? a nice one?

he refunded you some money already? or only said he would?

who was your outfitter?
I hunted 16b a few years back, had a pleasant experience with my outfitter, wasn't crazy about my guide, but the outfitter did a pretty quality job overall IMO.

To have booked a guided hunt, and then not have a guide...personally I think I'd want more refunded than just what a drop camp would've cost...I didn't sign up for a drop camp, I signed up for a guided hunt!

However, if you get any refund, I would kinda consider myself lucky, there are some shady outfitters out there.

btw when did this "emergency" happen? was there time to notify you that you wouldn't have a guide before you left? to drive/fly all the way out there without having to etc...or maybe had you known you would have changed something up.

Last edited by salukipv1; 09-29-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

My take is that you paid for a certain service and of that you didn't recieve fully what you paid for. You should recieve at least partial reimbursement. If none comes in a timely manner, I'd look into seeing them in small claims court.

If the outfitter had a guide that failed to show up, then the outfitter still has the responsibility to fill that spot even if it means the owner of the outfit shows up and performs the task of your guide. You paid for a guide, you didn't have a guide, hence the outfitter failed to come through 100% of the services paid for. He owes you.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think what you have proposed sounds more than fair.

Really having a guide would be most important to me early on in the week so leaving you high and dry for the first 3 days would be more than a 50% reduction in the price I would think.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

Was it jess Rankin
Old 09-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

We hunted the first 3 days on our own with a little guidance out of camp..I got into elk, but again basically on my own and no, I did not get an elk. My thought was even had I shot an elk that wouldn't change a thing since I paid for a guided hunt. I have shot elk on my own in the past and actually enjoy it. Just had an itch to hunt BIG BULLS

So far they have not refunded any money or committed to do so. As far as the name, I am with holding it at this time, but starting to have mixed feelings on that as well.

Should I release the name ??? Not sure
As far as the guide, he left the second day of the second season which was 8 days before I arrived. They stated they thought he was coming back..needless to say, he didnt
Originally Posted by salukipv1
So you hunted 6 days on your own? no guide? did you get an elk? a nice one?

he refunded you some money already? or only said he would?

who was your outfitter?
I hunted 16b a few years back, had a pleasant experience with my outfitter, wasn't crazy about my guide, but the outfitter did a pretty quality job overall IMO.

To have booked a guided hunt, and then not have a guide...personally I think I'd want more refunded than just what a drop camp would've cost...I didn't sign up for a drop camp, I signed up for a guided hunt!

However, if you get any refund, I would kinda consider myself lucky, there are some shady outfitters out there.

btw when did this "emergency" happen? was there time to notify you that you wouldn't have a guide before you left? to drive/fly all the way out there without having to etc...or maybe had you known you would have changed something up.
No it was not.

Originally Posted by habitat
Was it jess Rankin
Old 10-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

If this doesn't get resolved let them know you will be writing a "review" in some hunting forums. Reputation is everything for these guys and you threaten to tarnish it they should satisfy you. If they don't they aren't too bright.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

Well, after a few conversations on the phone, we did receive back $1300 as we had requested.

I am satisfied with the resolution and it was an excellent year. It wasn't the greatest situation I am sure for either, but the fact that WE had to bring it up.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:17 PM
car
Typical Buck

Glad you received some $$ back. As long as your happy with it, that's all that matters