HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Mexico Outfiitter Issue - Need advice
Old 09-29-2010, 07:27 PM
elkhuntinut
Typical Buck

Default New Mexico Outfiitter Issue - Need advice

Some of you may be aware of my situation for my elk hunt in New Mexico. Well tonight I spoke to the outfitter as a follow up and getting the emotions out of the way and then asking for what I felt was fair..
I was in Unit 16b/22.....I love hunting in that unit, however I think I will be finding a new outfitter as I called them tonight.....here is the conclusion I came too.
We signed up for a 2 on 1 hunt which the cost was $3800 for a 6 Day Wilderness Hunt. As presented, this was to include being packed into a spike camp, with a giuide going the wranglin', cooking and calling. We had 3 hunters in camp with only 1 guide.....which he took the other hunter the first 3 days....(which he tagged a bull on the 3rd morning)
To say I didn't get something the first 3 days would not be accurate. What I did get for those 3 days was a drop camp style hunt. A guide in camp to wrangle the horses & mules, cook meals and pack an animal if need be...for that the average price in the Gila is $1200, half of that is $600...we paid $3800 for our hunt, half of that since we had a guide for 3 days is $1900....my total should be the sum of the $600 & the $1900...with the difference from $3800 & $2500....refunded to me $1300...I think that is fair. When I asked for that I was told they were going to talk...question is they knew we were not satisfied so what did they do since we left camp Friday night until today ? Guess they never talked about what they needed to do in order for us to be made right...
It took me another 35 minutes to have the same conversation I had the night I returned from my camp..to be told they need to talk. The only difference is at camp I had no idea what a drop camp would cost so to give a figure would of been fair. I wouldn't ask for half back because like I said, I did get something.
I was informed at the end of my conversation that I do not understand emergencies not, sure what that means, other than the fact that the guide we were to have had an emergency and could not make it...
Like I said before, we never had any options....they were made for us...we were told the guide would be in the first day...he never showed...heck the guide we had wasn't told by the owner to rely any inform...he was left, like us to assume he wasn't coming..
Your thoughts ???