Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
newfoundland caribou and bear >

newfoundland caribou and bear

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

newfoundland caribou and bear

Old 10-17-2010, 06:56 AM
Spike

Default newfoundland caribou and bear

new foundland hunting trip
i just got back from my few foundland hunting trip.
i booked the hunt in jan. 2008 so i have been looking forward to this trip for a long time. newfoundland is one of the last places that we can hunt the "woodland" caribou. and i have always wanted one so i booked a combo moose/caribou/black bear hunt at the sci show.
the hunt was a fly in only area in south west few foundland about 40-50 miles from the nearest road.i flew to gander newfoundland and spent the night at a hotel. and was picked up in the morning and driven 2 hrs south into the bush. where we loaded my gear into a small 4 seat plane on floats and flew into camp.i dont like big planes let alone small ones but it was a blast.and a must for a total wilderness hunt. the outfitter has the rights to the whole area and only takes a couple hunters a year to this area. so the animals we were hunting can live there whole lives and never see a human.there were 3 hunters and 3 guides and a campcook, and thats all. 7 people in an area the size of a small state was a pretty awesome feeling.
we hiked up mountains and through bogs and swamps. stoping at high vantage spots to glass.we started seeing game right away, and on the first afternoon i spotted a black dot on a distent hill. it was my bear. after a mile long stock to get the wind right i was within 70 yds of the feeding bear. one shot from my 30/06 loaded with 200 gn. accubond handloads was all it took. he is a very nice bear. six and a half foot and about 450 lbs with a perfect thick black coat.
we called in a few moose on day 2 but i passed on them thinking i would get a shot on a bigger one. this plan backfired and i never got a shot at a moose.
on the third day we left camp before first light so we could be on the top of the mountain before day break. as soon as it was light enough to see we spoted some caribou working through the trees about 500 or 600 yds away. we tried to cut them off but they changed direction and i found myself running at full speed through the woods to get close enough for a shot. at about 100 yds the big stag walked up a small hill only about 10 feet high but it was tall enough that i could see his vitals.they never knew we were there. again the accubond handloads did there job. the stag has huge double shovels and is 46 inches wide. and has great heavy mass.my taxidermist green scored him over 350 inches BC. witch is WAY over the boone and crocket min. of 290 in.he is my first and only "book" animal.i could not be happier with him. we were able to get the 8 wheel drive argo from camp ,all the way to him so packing him out was a breeze. and after a dinner of caribou heart and back straps sleep came pretty easy that night.
the weather really changed and for the rest of the trip we had 60 mph winds and rain. the worst possible weather for moose hunting. we spent the next 3 days hunting hard but never got a shot on a moose.
moose or no moose, i had a great trip and an unbelivable hunt.
Attached Thumbnails newfoundland caribou and bear-newfoundland-pictures-030.jpg   newfoundland caribou and bear-newfoundland-pictures-038.jpg   newfoundland caribou and bear-newfoundland-pictures-040.jpg  
Old 10-17-2010, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats... That's a whopper of a bull for a Woodland... Nice bruin, too... Too bad you didn't get your moose for your " Newfie Slam"....

I was not aware that nonresidents could still get caribou tags in Newfoundland..I know in much of the province they can't, due to a drastic reduction in the caribou herd...
Old 10-17-2010, 10:16 AM
bigcountry

Goodness, that brings back memories. Tough, tough freakin terrain. Never have I experienced non-stop boggage. Black spruce was tougher.

Congrads on two great kills.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:38 AM
Spike

thanks ,the outfitter told me that tag #'s are so low that he was only given 8 caribou tags for the year.and he might not get any next year.he said the island is over run with coyotes and the fawns dont stand a chance in the spring.
and yes hiking through bog sucks. especially since i had my right knee rebuilt this feb.new foundland is the only place i have seen standing water on the side of a hill.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice. I guess one of these days I need to do a hunt like that.

You mind sharing how much a trip like that ends up costing total turn key?
Old 10-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by npaden
Very nice. I guess one of these days I need to do a hunt like that.

You mind sharing how much a trip like that ends up costing total turn key?
this hunt was somewhere around $9,000-$10,000 with outfitter,tips for the guide,airfair,hotel,shipping ect.
the only way i can do a trip like this every couple of years is to save,save,save. that and the fact i dont smoke,drink or have any kids.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:38 PM
car
Typical Buck

Well good for you. Sounds like you had a great trip. Congrats!