Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

[Deleted]

Old 06-17-2003, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best Caliber for Moose?

No doubt that a 22 would kill a moose if the moose was hit in a lethal spot. I have heard many storries about Moose being hit with an arrow (heart/lung area) and just standing there, or walking along and feeding. One time I was told of a Moose which turned 180 degrees and offered the other side for another arrow. Two lethal shots, moose walked 15 yards then died. A 22 or an arrow does not hit the moose with alot of force, so the moose is not startled like a deer gets.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:44 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-18-2003, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Well Mainea, I read all the posts on this topic so far.
First let me say that I havent been here for a while because I got tired of all the petty bickering I witnessed.
Secondly, although I have never shot a moose I have killled many deer.
I own numerous rifles in many calibers, and always get acccused of overkill.
I know some say that the big magnums intimidate the shooter and I would agree that on the range they even affect me after shooting a while.
BUT, and thats a big BUT, I have NEVER felt, nor seldom even remember the big guns kick while shooting at game.
I think most would agree with me.
If I were you I would get a nice 338 mag since your hunt is virtually free, and shoot it at the range to sight in and get used to it.
Recoil has never been a big deal for me and I think a lot of it is hype.
Chances are your shoi will never be as picture perfect as you want it so why not take the exra measure and go with the heavier load.
No need for others to reply to me on this as I really dont want to waste time debating this already overdone post.
Thats my opinion for what its worth.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:34 PM
Fork Horn

Maineah:

You' ve fallen into a terrible rut. Get rid of those bolt guns before they totally warp your sense of reality, and get back into true hunting rifles - quick shooters.

I' ve shot all of my moose with either a .303 British (a boring old bolt action - before I learned better) or a 30-06. The guns I currently carry for moose are a .35 Whelen and a .358 Winchester, but its not because of some perceived need for that level of power - it' s just because I feel like it.[>:]

In my camp, I' ve seen moose killed with 30-30' s, .35 Remingtons. .270' s, .303' s, .308' s, 30-06' s, 8X57' s, .35 Whelens and .300 WinMags. The poorest performance was a .300 WinMag shooting partitions.

If you' re unable to dispense with those abominable bolts before hunting season, I' d suggest you carry the 7mm-08 and use standard bullets of 150 grains or more.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

liquidorange - Your 22 story has to be one of the most ridiculous ones I' ve heard in quite awhile. Anyone and I mean anyone who would shoot at big game with something that is a target and squirrel caliber ought not to be in the woods.

No doubt someone, somewhere is stupid enough to have tried this and it' s possible that 1 in 1000 attempts at such a stunt might cause the moose to die where they see it. But it would be much more likely that a moose, deer or any other large animal would walk around wounded for a few weeks or months with internal infection, then die a miserable death in some spruce swamp or someplace never found.

Anytime anyone raises a rifle to fire at a magnificant animal like a moose, elk, deer or other animal best be sure it is something that gives a high probably, though it never a guarantee, that the animal will die in short order. I can' t for the life of me understand anyone in their right-mind using anything less.

It even bothered me last weekend on my trip up to N.E. Minnesota to see the folks, where someone had hit a yearly calf moose, which can happen to anyone at night. They are very tough to see with their almost black hide. But what really bothered me is that they left it beside the road to be eaten by the scavengers and flies, instead of using what was salvagable. What a waste!

Please show some common sense. Then again, as I always say...
Old 06-26-2003, 10:19 PM

MinnFinn,

Don' t be quick to jump to conclusions. Alaskan natives up here have been known to kill POLAR BEARS (bigger and meaner than moose the last time I checked) with .222' s and .223' s with success. Personally, I think they' re crazy and stupid, but then again, they do bring the bears home with them.[]

Mainah,

I' d just use your 7mm-08 with a good premium bullet like a Nosler Partition or even the new Nosler Accubond.

My weapon of choice is my 338 Win. Mag. for all Alaskan game, but I would feel comfortable with hunting moose up here with a 7mm. My cousin took a bull moose with his Ruger 7x57 mauser with 175-grain bullets. One shot in the heart and the bull just stood there before finally falling over after about 30 seconds.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:39 PM

I am a big bore freak myself, but if you can put one through the lungs with a 7mm.08, he should fall pretty quickly. Barnes X bullet would be my choice in the heaviest grain lead you can get for 7mm.08. Moose are very big boned so if you miss your mark and hit the front shoulder, you could be in for a very long day, that heavy lead just may be the deciding factor as to a wounded animal and a rack in the back of the truck at camp!!!