Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

For those about to pack

Old 06-22-2003, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default For those about to pack

Seeing that September is mere days away (I wish)....what all do you you carry with you in preparation of field dressing, quartering or boning, and packing out your elk? What do you have in your pack...and what do you keep in your vehicle or camp and bring on the return trip?
Old 06-23-2003, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: For those about to pack

Big question. Lots of answers, I ' spect. I carry some nylon cord for propin' open my critter. I carry a big ol' knife fer dressin' / quarterin' . I got my capin' knife too, but I don' t usually use it til I git bac to camp, where I can take my time. I also got a butt hole knife some feller off another board sent me. Nice long, thin, narrow blade thet will free up a butt hole in nuthin' flat. I carry a small stone an' steel, jus' in case I need to touch up my blade (I hate dull knives). I got a Wyomin' Saw for removin' lower legs, the head, an' such chores. I carry flaggin' tape to mark the trail (or reasonable substitute) back to the down animal. I remove all my tape, unlike mos' people I think. I keep my razor sharp Grans For huntin' axe back at camp, cause I gotta go back for pack animals anyhoo. I bring my panniers, axe, game bags, an' lash ropes back to the dressed critter with two pack animals. You can pack quarters with a crow' s foot hitch an' no panniers, but its much harder by yer lonesome.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:56 AM

In my backpack or daypack I carry,
folding skinning/meat cutting knife, bone saw, knife sharpener, game bags, plastic bags, a little bit of rope, small plastic sack with tie off for separating proof of sex from the meat it is attached to.. Thats about it for deer elk and bear.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pack gets to carry two knives, sharpener, 1/4" rope, head light & batteries in case I get it just before dark, flagging tape, automotive reflective tape incase it is dark you can see this much better than flagging tape at night. A small strip can be seen for a long ways. Gerber collapsing saw, and of course snacks, lunch, water and a small first aid kit, space blanket and other emergency stuff.

Camp gets to keep the block and tackle for hanging quarters, hatchet & game bags.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:45 PM
Fork Horn

The posts above cover the basic necessities very well. I carry and extra mini mag light with some spare batteries. I also carry among other knives a " Wyoming" knife that is really good for splitting the hide and peeling it back. The orange tape noted works great in the daylight but the reflective (called glint tape in the military)tape is a great idea. A blue filter on a flashlight could be helpful for finding blood in the dark. I also carry a Camelback that fits in the main pouch of my pack. Boning out an elk at high elevation and humping some of it back to camp is an exhaustive drill - hence plenty of fluid. There is a difference between deer and elk/moose game bags (thickness). I also carry about a 100 feet of parachute cord for hanging game bags in trees if repeat trips are necessary (it doesn' t take up any room nor does it weigh much at all).
Some emergency " snivel gear" is a wise part of your pack if your range several miles from camp on foot especially in a wilderness area. I pack two very compact light weight space blankets and some fire starter material with a magnesium flint like piece of metal and water resistant matches of course. I have a wool sweater as part of this emergency/stay in the woods kit.
I have an external pack frame (Cabela' s Alaskan Guide series) that I attach my day pack to. It has a fold down shelf that makes attaching a hind quarter or front shoulder to pretty convenient. By the time you empty the pack of the game bags, etc. the day pack collapses down pretty flat.
Along with whatever snivel gear is appropriate for your hunting style, add a couple protein/energy bars.
Regards.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

Avoid them mini mag flashlights. If yer dressin' a critter at night, its nice to have a flashlight that fits in betwixt yer teeth. You won' t like the feel of a round flashlight in yer mouth, an' if you do, you ain' t huntin' with me.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:59 AM

I' m with beaverjack on the mini mags.
Seems you are always changing the bulbs or the batteries with those things.
When you hike for 2 to 4 hours in the dark everyday getting to and from your hunting area you need a flashlight you can depend on to work all the time.
The new LED lights are great.
I carry a headlamp in my daypack for cleaning chores after dark, agree holding flashlights in the mouth is not the way to go. Especially if you are going to be there for a couple hours boning an elk.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:05 AM

Must carry ....

* Wyoming Bone saw
* Lacing cord (12 ply nylon cord)
* knifes with some way to resharpen them
* game bags
* pepper

I debone my elk and have llamas at camp ready to pack the meat out ASAP. I will be 11 miles in this year - should be a whole lot of fun and work if/when I kill one.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well the other guys said a lot of good things but what alot didn' t say to pack was a good Forest Service map of some sort and a compass.Hey we all can get lost or confused and a small first aid kit. I opt for 2 hatchets and 2 knives (non-folding) a sharpener,game bags,extra shells,6 rounds for my 44 mag pistoland 20 rouns for my rifle,map,compass,matches,1st aid kit,flash light,rope and a space save blanket,2 cans sardines(high in protine and energy),2 packs soup mix,1pack coffee,some candy and water with 2 packs gatoraid,extra socks and a wool sweater in the bottom. I pack all this cause I hunt a lot of remote places and generally by myself or a friend,most pepole dont wan' t to follow.The rest I wear,my friends have accused me of bring everything but the kitchen sink,but hey I go prepared.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:59 AM
Typical Buck

That boy must be in shape. Jus' outta curiosity, what good is a 44 if you got a rifle?

Quick Reply: For those about to pack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.