Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

[Deleted]

Old 06-16-2003, 10:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-16-2003, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Caliber for Moose?

The 30-30 has probally taken more game than any other caliber, and even today with some of the 220 grain hotloads it will crumple a moose.
The 30-30 Win has also wounded more game than any other cartridge. Save the 30-30 for what it is best used for. A doorstop.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:23 PM

BJ any body that has a profile like your (Most hunters are in love with the IDEA of hunting, not hunting itself. I do it to attract chicks.) you need help and if you actually belive that 99% of all shots in the woods are not place ment shots then you dont need to be in the woods.when i shoot i like to pick a spot if not even a hair .now getting back to a 7-08 it has about 17.1 inches of penetration at about 2400 fps impact velosety for a 175 grain bullet . and just for a note a 220 grain barns bullet only penetrates 11.5 inches and only holds about 66% of its weight and that is out of a 30 06 . PS a 180 nosler traveling at aprox 2700impact velocety only gives you 16 inches of penetration and a 175 grain partion spiter with impact velocety is 2400 (300fps slower than a 06) has 15.7 inchs of penetration. in short bj a 7mm08 expands to .540 diamater and a 06 only expands to 180 partion expands to 480 therefore a 7mm08 penetrates deeper and even expands more thefore also leaves a biger hole thus more damage
Old 06-16-2003, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Expansion ain' t yer worry with moose, its penetration. You gotta be able to shoot straight thu. Mushroomin' is fine, but onct you seen a puny bullet blow up on an entry wound, or tried to track without a blood trail, you' ll be tootin' a differnt horn.

Now given that the part ' bout attractin' chicks is BS, the part of my lil' ditty ' bout mos' hunters bein' in love with only the idea of huntin' is true, if you will admit it. Think about it, an outdoors sport where nobody talks about the outdoors? Outdoors topics here don' t last long. Jus' shootin' an' gadgets. Look at hunters in camp after a hard day' s ride an' hunt, they' re miserable. After day two, they cain' t wait to fill out an' head home, even though they daydreamed about the hunt all year. Not everthin' I say is serious, but I' m thinkin' that the fellers here thet are honest with themselves will agree on this one. Very few hunt because they truly enjoy and respect the outdoors. Otherwise, they wouldn' t be on the idjit tube so much an' be out wettin' a fly, or hikin' a trail, or takin' pictures. An then, all this talk ' bout calibers, cartridges, an' scopes would seem as juvenile to y' all as it does me.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no actual bow season on moose here in Mt., but if I get drawn this year, it just happens to open dureing the archery season and yes I will be set up with 125 gr. thunderheads. I have seen these swamp donkies hang out on some of these ponds and if for some reason I can' t drop one with the 2314, then I will come back before the end of the season and bring the 700/ 30-06 loaded with 180 gr. Nozlers, Core-lokts are good too, but I get better groups in useing the Nozlers. If I' m out rideing the Quad and I got the 336/ 30-30, then I would not hesitate in useing that with 170 gr. core-lokts up to about 150 yrds with Williams peep sights.
This set up is what will work around here, if you go elsewhere, then it will be different, make the adjustments. Bobby
Old 06-17-2003, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

DON' T BRING THEM SISSY A$$ EUROPEANS INTO THIS. Why you think they got no animals anymore? 6.5x55 mauser my arse! People got no sense. No wonder they was left when all the good stock let out for the New World. Allays be some schmuck out there with a pop gun when he don' t have to be. I find their handiwork all the time; gut shot cows, bulls with their faces blowed off, deer hoppin' around on three legs. Makes me sick. I' m sure they was all toutin' the killin' power of their rifles too. Some never admit that they lose animals. I' m through with this crap. Like I said afor, comes through clear who' s got a lick of sense an' who ain' t.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:10 AM

Jeez Beaver Jack, you`d think a guide would want to see some rules put in place like the Finns and Swedes have. Like qualifying with their rifle before being able to hunt moose and if you check you`ll find that for 2 very small countries they have a hell of alot more moose than the whole western US and damn near more than Canada. As I said before post your pics and lets see some of these moose that need a .338 to kill because the ones we hunt aren`t that big.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:23 AM

bj qoute from you Allays be some schmuck out there with a pop gun when he don' t have to be. I find their handiwork all the time; gut shot cows, bulls with their faces blowed off, deer hoppin' around on three legs. Makes me sick i dont care if you shot em with a 223 or a friggen 416 if you hit im in the guts it is all soft tissue and they could very well survive and if you hit em with a 50bmg in the leg they are going to hobble away on three legs. get the facts straight . like i said befor if you cant hit were you want to hit dont take the shot . i bet you belive in the all mighty STOPPING POWER dont you
Old 06-17-2003, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh I see BJ magnums are more accurate and standard calibers are just wounders...Hmmm and your supposed to be a guide or something to that effect...
Old 06-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

dont think i would try it but a maine guide told me that the indians up there who have there own land use to shoot moose with a 22. they would place the shot somewhere between a spot in the ribs and it would walk around for a while and then just collapse. according to him the moose doesnt know he was shot and then expires fron internal bleeding. wonder if this is just one of those urban legends!

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.