HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - [Deleted]
Thread: [Deleted]
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2003, 06:11 PM
MinnFinn
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Caliber for Moose?

liquidorange - Your 22 story has to be one of the most ridiculous ones I' ve heard in quite awhile. Anyone and I mean anyone who would shoot at big game with something that is a target and squirrel caliber ought not to be in the woods.

No doubt someone, somewhere is stupid enough to have tried this and it' s possible that 1 in 1000 attempts at such a stunt might cause the moose to die where they see it. But it would be much more likely that a moose, deer or any other large animal would walk around wounded for a few weeks or months with internal infection, then die a miserable death in some spruce swamp or someplace never found.

Anytime anyone raises a rifle to fire at a magnificant animal like a moose, elk, deer or other animal best be sure it is something that gives a high probably, though it never a guarantee, that the animal will die in short order. I can' t for the life of me understand anyone in their right-mind using anything less.

It even bothered me last weekend on my trip up to N.E. Minnesota to see the folks, where someone had hit a yearly calf moose, which can happen to anyone at night. They are very tough to see with their almost black hide. But what really bothered me is that they left it beside the road to be eaten by the scavengers and flies, instead of using what was salvagable. What a waste!

Please show some common sense. Then again, as I always say...