Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

[Deleted]

Old 06-14-2003, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best Caliber for Moose?

These fellers toutin' those scrawny bullets probly ain' t never seed a moose die. They are like shootin' into a tractor tire. You would do well with a 35 Whelen or a 338' 06. A 30' 06 is marginal, but will do the job. Don' t skimp on your ammo. These are fine critters. You' re spending enough on the hunt, don' t get cheap with your rifle choice.
Old 06-14-2003, 03:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-14-2003, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Me an' Bill Weaver say a 4x is all the scope a hunter can use. Anythin' else is a decoration.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-15-2003, 12:10 AM
Typical Buck

The .338-06 would be a fine choice, indeed!
Old 06-15-2003, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

I been comin' to these sites for 18 months or so. Its gettin' easier for me to tell the old timers and experienced young fellers from those full of horse hooey. Nub, you take that puny 125 grainer and shoot at an old tractor tire from 100 yards. Look at the bullets. Then put that rifle up for a deer gun and get yerself a proper moose rifle that don' t require as much luck to kill cleanly with. Then go ask yer daddy if you can start shaving cause yer now on yer way to bein' a man.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:16 AM
nub

BJ: Its obvious, you have absolutely no idea what a 125 gr. G5 is. Do ya? You also have no way of determining my age based on my previous post. As for " my daddy" , he passed on about 15 years ago from cancer. Maybe if you stick around another 18 months you' ll learn something.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:04 AM

Any man who says the 06 is a marginal moose round best not repeat that in a bar in Cornerbrook.Around here more guys use the 06 than any other caliber and my wifes grandfather use to shoot them with a .44 from his snowshoes and never lost an animal. Lets be straight up the biggest problem is not caliber but the fact that alot of guys can`t hit the side of a barn at 100 yards.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

Turk_man it is not always the calibur just like you said, but in the ammo choosen. Alot of people will choose a bullet that does not open up or mushrom. If the bullet only punches through, say good bye to the moose. IMO a 270, 308, 30-06 or any cal. equivlent with a proper bullet would be more than sufficant on Moose.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:21 PM

well here is my two cents worth , i may not be much of a turkey hunter but a big game hunter i am . i have seen guys with a 300 rum and not be able to hit jack at 50 yard scared has hell of the wepon i may not have kill many moose but i have been in on alot of dogging and been on more kill sites of moose than whay you guys may see in your life time . that said im not bragging (mabey just a little) i have seen more moose shot with a 44 rem mag carbine then enuff especially when guys are dogging or walking thru a swamp with iron sites . now i would love to see a guy with a 300 rum with a 3-9 get the sites on a big old box car in the woods . now if you are hunting out in the open then yes a 300rum is exellent and a 44 is junk you have to know where you are hunting and conditions you are hutning in before you pack your rifle for that day . moose are very easy to kill on in the boiler room and it is game over . there will to live does not seem as strong as a deer . the 7mm08 is almost identcal as a 30 06 if you take your gun out and can shoot it dont let any one tell you it wont kill moose or deer ect ect .
i have seen a guy shoot one with a 243 105 grain nosler partition . . i have ranted enuff and expect to get some flack over this. i thought hunting was getting close to your animal not shooting it at 500 frigen yards . i see guy on tv shooting elk from ridge top to ridge top and it makes me sick that is not hunting that is shooting plain and simple

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.