Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CO elk hunt

Old 08-09-2009, 03:24 AM
Spike

Default CO elk hunt

I'm leaving on 9/11 heading to CO on a guided elk bow hunt. We are supposed to pack in on horses and camp at about 10000 feet then hunt up to about 13,000. I'm from the bottomlands of Louisiana at about 194 ft elevation. I was told that starting Diamox about 2 days prior to leaving and then takinf for the first 3 days into the hunt will prevent altitude sickness. Anyone had any experience with taking this drug which is a diuretic? I know hydration plays a big factor in preventing altitude sickness, so taking a diuretic seems is gonna make staying hydrated even harder.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been to Colorado 2x's on archery hunts. Being from NY I'm around 800-1,000 ft tops. I didn't try any pills for altitude sickness, so I can't help you there. But I can give you a little advice on it if you decide not to take medications. First off the obvious is to be in the best shape you can. The better you can handle the elevations, the harder you'll be able to hunt. If you haven't been running, its time ya got going. My guide highly suggested running with a straw in my mouth to help. Regardless you will experience some altitude sickness, mostly in the form of headaches at least. I used Alieve for the headaches. It was the only thing that touched it, and what my outfitter suggested. If you have any stomach upset, rollaids work wonders. So pack some alieve, and rollaids. Also don't over eat your first couple days. Eat small portions, and no spicy foods. If your outfitter allows it, arrive a day in advance to just hang out, walk around. A adjustment day I call it. On your first day of hunt don't overdue it. Go easy to help in the adjustment. Of course the obvious, keep hydrated. You should be urinating clear, if not your not drinking enough. Thats about all I can tell ya on it. My first time the 2nd day I had some stomach upset, but I hate some spicy meatloaf the night before. The 2nd time all I dealt with was headaches, but I hate some rollaides before bedtime my first couple nights, just as precaution. Good Luck, its hunt of a lifetime!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

Jakes,

Your best bet at taking something for altitude sickness is Iron and Potassium pills or from the real deal red meat and bananas. Go up the mountain slowly the first day and take your time getting there don't just drive right up. Stop here and there take some pictures. Stay away from drinking alcohol while in camp alcohol and altitude don't mix well for people from lower elevations.

If your gonna go with the iron and potassium start taking pills two weeks before you go.

Being in good shape is one of the best preventors but even people in great shape get altitude sickness. And there's no immediate cure other than going to lower elevations.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

The first time I went to Colorado, my guide told me to bring Tums or Rolaids and chew them like candy. I bought a large bottle of Tums and ate them as I climed from 8000 to 10000 feet. I never felt sick... they work!
Old 08-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Spike

Welcome to the forum. Get there as early as possible. If you can spend a day at 5-6K ' it will help to adjust. Take it easy at first. Don't be surprised if you barf. For true altitude sickness, the only remedy is to go lower.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good advice so far. "Get in great shape." Of course, if you aren't already far down this road I don't see how you are going to get there in a month. Let's hope this didn't sneak up on you. Be in good shape; have your weight way down where it ought to be. Endurance and stamina are the most important ingredients of the "be in shape" admonition. Running and other cardiovascular oriented exercise help a lot to build this stamina. If you want to work on strength IN ADDITION TO CARDIO work on your legs. Do squats with weights. Do lunges. Climb lots of stairs. If you want to work additional strength, work on your core with sit-ups, crunches and something to strengthen your back.

I have gone to the mountains many times. Often I go from my 600 foot elevation to 7000 foot elevation and sleep on day 1 and am out at 9000 feet working hard on day 2 and heading towards higher ground under a heavy pack -- sleeping at 12000 feet on day 3 -- with no ill effects. Even so, I had something once I think was altitude sickness and it wasn't fun, and it wasn't all that high elevation -- 9,500 feet? I think I overworked myself on this one occasion, then again maybe it was some sort of virus.

If you can get a couple of days sleeping at some higher elevation -- 6000 feet, 8000 feet -- this is good. If you can avoid really busting your butt the first day, that might be good too. I have heard -- from my personal physician just last week -- that Tums can help avoid altitude sickness. Look at the active ingredient in Tums -- this is the key. I think it is like baking soda or something like that -- alkyline. No doubt other substances help as well.

If you do get altitude sickness, in the Rocky Mountains you aren't likely to experience any truly dangerous effects, but you might feel badly. Even if you are in shape, expect to get easily winded. Don't try to run a marathon out there. Walk and hike at a pace which suits you. Don't be afraid to stop to catch your breath. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

My dad suffers from altitude sickness very badly. He takes some pills he gets from the doc but I do not know what they are. He says they work. Getting onto the best shape possible is a great idea. However, just know that at that elevation you will suffer. I live at 5300' and still need to rest and catch my breath at 10000'. Listen to your body and take the rest you need. Drink lots of water and take a nap if need. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:01 AM

Hi Jake,
My house is 144 ft. above sea level close to Shreveport. I've been to Colorado the last 2 years and I hunt around 10-12K. I had no problem with altitude sickness. Of course that doesn't mean that you won't.
Good luck on your hunt.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Spike

Thanks! I live in Quitman which is about 20 miles south of Ruston. Hopefully I'll be fine too.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

First off- Good Luck in Colorado. If you have never hunted the west you are in for a treat. Its where i wish i was all the time. As for altitude sickness it takes effect on people differently. Tums, Rolaids and water i have heard of( water is the best). I personally am lucky enough to have grown up hunting/living in high alts and have a built up muscle memory of sorts which helps when i get to leave the east and hunt out west. As far as a good option i suggest getting there a day or two early, if you can. Maybe rent a hotel in Colorado Springs or Denver or somewhere. There are a lot of hiking trails you can go hike between 6 to 10k right by both cities that will help you adjust better when you actually get there. The first few days are the roughest and if you get that out of your way before your hunt, you will do much better. I took my girlfriend hiking this summer, she has never left the east coast in her life. I took her to Colorado springs, the first few days she was struggling, but by day 3 she was moving good, keeping up with me and my friends that live there full time. Granted we work out about 5 to 6 days a week year round, being in shape is HUGE!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.