Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CO elk hunt

Old 08-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Final thought...

Besides....he's from Louisiania....no worries about his toughness!!!! NOW were he from South Texas maybe not so much!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

I've only seen two cases personally in 22 years, but you hear a lot of people saying it happens.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Spike

Default CO elk hunt return

Hey ya'll. Well, I made it to and from the hunt without any difficulties. Oh, and I didn't have any problems with altitude sickness. We hunted up to about 12,000 ft and of course, I got winded but I believe everybody does to some degree. I didn't kill anything, but did have the oppotunity at a 5X5 one evening. He was at 55 yds, but I couldn't see his head or neck to tell what he was until he turned and ran down the mountain. I saw only 4 bulls and 6 cows and heard only 1 bugle. We just couldn't get anything to respond to calling. There was sign everywhere and I even set up on a wallow for part of the hunt, but didn't see anything. Because it was so warm and the food and water were plentiful, they stayed up high. We would go to the top of the mountain to try to catch them coming down before dark, but they were always one step ahead of us. It was a learning experience, but next year I'll stick to my original plans and go the middle of Sept. I must admit, it was exciting to hear that one bugle. Thanks for all the information. I drank lots of water and only took a couple of rolaids the entire trip. We camped at 10,000 ft and I walked about 50 miles up and down without even any soreness, so I reckon all the training worked.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

Good to hear you had a good time Jakes. Sorry you didn't get your elk but thats only a small part of the experience. I leave wed night for SW CO. Soooo... looking forward to it. Good luck to everyone.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Spike

I live at 7500ft in southwest CO, and I'm also an EMT.

I take hunters up to 11,000 feet and have seen some cases of alltitude sickness, never anything severe, but enought that it effects their hunting.
Staying hydrated is a big thing that you can do that will help, also take in enough salt.

Onebigelk, where did you hunt at?
Old 09-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

firechik, just got back on saturday and haven't had time to get online till tonight. We hunted 30 miles north of Pagosa Springs. I wasn't successfull but my son-in-law was, a nice 5x5 will go into detail with pics soon.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Spike

Nice, we are just north west of Durango. Great area.