Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CO elk hunt

Old 08-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-21-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:54 AM
Spike

Hey, that sounds good to me. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2009, 03:04 AM
Spike

Well, my hunt got moved up to the opening week of archery season and I'll be leaving out of LA on 8/27. I'M READY!!!!!
Old 08-15-2009, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RedRiverHntr
Upon further review, you probably should stay home. Colorado and the mountains therein are way too dangerous for us mere mortals!!!

Information and education is just good sense. But to suggest that altitude sickness is something so common as to be prevalent is absurd. Statistically I would suggest you have a better chance of being in a car wreck getting there, but I bet you don't raise your level of insurance in advance?

A group of 10 overweight, underconditioned guys (and no tougher than the average fellow) from near sea level go up every fall like they have for the last 7 years. Set up a tent village at 10k feet. Drink way too much alcohol....sleep way too little....and walk more than our lungs allow. Occasional headache and such, but no more than could be expected to have happened back home under these conditions. My grandfather just quit going to the mountains every summer, where he still chopped his own firewood well into his 90's....but only when he died a couple of summers ago.

I have never heard so many Nancy-Boys in my life. I am ashamed for some of you. Should make sure and mention in one these that we should not shoot anything larger than a .264 caliber weapon too. As anything bigger is just for show and too much gun to handle.

Like I said, if you have health issues...are elderly or infirmed...then take the necessary precautions. Otherwise, drink lots of water and have fun. Contrary to the belief of some, you aren't going to Nepal.

Just got back a couple of weeks ago from summer trip to Co. Cabin at 9k feet and did some hiking/fishing up around 13k. Lived to tell about it with no special breathing apparatus or with anyone suffering unduly. My English Bulldog pants a little more at that elevation, but he too survived no worse for wear.

Here's hoping you make it back alive from this most dangerous of endeavors my friend. I will keep you in my prayers!!!
If you are referring to HAPE (high altitude Pulmonay edema) or HACE (high altitude Cerebral edema), then you are correct, they are extremely rare. But some of the milder forms of this disease occur with some frequency. Headaches, insomnia, pounding heart even at rest, etc. I certainly ain't no Nancy Boy, but when I go to the mountains, I want to enjoy every minute. Since I go a couple of times a year, and sometimes for just 3-4 days, that means if I didn't treat my condition, I would not feel good for most of the trip. With what I do, I have no symtoms.

I am glad you have minimal/no symtoms. You probably don't get sea sick either, but if you did, would you just put up with it or take some dramamine?

Perhaps we just take our hunting more seriously than you? I will be packing in to a wilderness this year, not drinking, and hiking many, many miles per day, hoping to get the chance to pack an animal out on my back. With that plan I want to hit the ground running, and there is no more wrong with doing what it takes to prevent altitude problems than trying to get it shape for the trip. If that makes me a Nancy boy, then feel free to come sit in my lap.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Spike

Jakes, I have lived here and hunted in Colorado for the last 31 years and have seen many experience altitude sickness when coming up from lower elevations. I live at 7000 ft and sometimes still get it when hunting. Obviously the main problem is reduced oxygen in your blood and that effects the whole body. I've used plain old aspirin for 30+ years, but what I really believe helps the most is the water you take with it! The first symptom is a headache. At that point, pound down all the water you can handle. Slow down and rest and you should be fine
Also keep in mind that 1 beer at home is equal to 6 at 10,000 ft. Hit the stairs as much as you can these last few days before the trip. Stairs are the best training for hiking in the mountains. Do it with your loaded pack and bow on.
Have a great trip out here and let us know how you did!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Prevention is the best medicine. I am thinking that maybe that we won't be going Elk Hunting this year. It's just too hard and dangerous. Since at least a hand full of people on this forum experience it, then it must be prevalent and therefore too risky.
Wonder how all the snow skiiers...backpackers....hikers....fishermen all do it? Must be they take all these precautions as well.

I get motion sick if I spin around fast three times. Pretty sure I would get sea sick and so not about to try. The wife goes on cruises whilst I go tempt fate....
Thrillseeking tough SOB that I am....drink too much...walk too much....all the while overweight and hunting at above ten thousand feet!!!

NOW as for the sitting on one's lap....do you/can you smell like ....Paris Hilton? No need to look like her, I am old and just the smell would do it for me!!!

I see you are going soon Jakes....godspeed and good luck. Have fun my friend...that's what it all about.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:05 AM
Spike

Well, I'm just about as ready as I'm gonna be considering I took on the trip with only about 7 weeks notice. I'll keep ya'll posted. Hopefully all will go well and I'll get a shot at something.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, prevention IS the best medicine. I also take a spare tire, a survival kit, rain coat, etc...........

I have a question. What have you added to this thread except calling fellow hunters wimps? Some of your post is obviously tongue in cheek and sarcastic, so I take that with a grain of salt, but your attitude does come through. You are the only person here suggesting anyone not go. I take a herbal tablet with Ginko and Ginsing and it eliminates my relatively mild symtoms. Why do you have a problem with that?

Glad you don't have any problem with altitude. Here is hoping your hunt is a great one.

Jakes: Go for it and have fun, you will, but watch out, it IS addicting. The mountains make me high without drinking!

Last edited by txhunter58; 08-18-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

No, no TX...not calling anyone a wimp. Hell I am wimp.
And I am a worrier extraordaire....but got to draw the line somewhere? Else one will have a battery powered defibillator and portable oxygen in one's pack along with a guide name Tinseng Norgay along to help out. (My apologies to those that do AND are sensitive about it!)
And I am a firm believer in the fact that if you think taking herbal supplements helps you, then by gawd they help you!!! (No matter how skeptical I might be!)

Just trying to let the young fellar know that awareness and knowledge of what could happen is sufficient. You can't pack for every scenario, but with careful planning and knowledge of what could go wrong, one can do okay.

Let everyone know how it goes for you Jakes. At least with short notice you won't have to worry about it too long.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fair enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.