Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Weapon or Rifle?

Old 05-07-2003, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Weapon or Rifle?

USMC still calls their rifles rifles if I' m not mistaken, with pretty strict enthusiasm!!

I call some of my handguns weapons, as do I fewer of my long guns. I feel that in this instance, intentions are the basis for nomenclature. As others have stated, a weapon is to be used in a fight, and a rifle would be used to hunt/shoot/whatever else but not fight. I' m going to go further, a rifle/gun is a tool, and can be used similarly to a hammer----> a hammer can be used as a weapon, to kill a human, or as a tool to build a house. Similarly, a rifle can be used as a weapon, to kill a human, or as a tool enacted to harvest game, or a precision instrument to punch holes in paper.

I have handguns that I would call weapons because I bought them for that purpose, if I should need to use my 1911, it will not be for a hunt or for paper, it will be to fight for my life, the same goes for the coach gun at my bedside, or my SKS that occasionally sleeps at my side. All of these guns can be used for another purpose other than as a weapon, but I employ them as such, and in those instances, I' d label them that, however, they are still, nothing more than tools at my disposal, if I feel the need to use them, the manner in which they are utilized is by my sole discretion, not by some " predetermined" purpose for them. Just because something is good at aiding humans in accomplishing something, doesn' t mean that that is all they are capable of...I sit on chairs a lot, but I can stand on one as a ladder as well, even though my 1911 was designed as a fighting weapon, it' s a great varminter, and a very FUN plinker.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:04 PM

WELL SAID, NOMERCY!!!
Old 05-07-2003, 08:48 PM

Here in Arizona we call em guns. If you live in california and the 9th circuit court of fools wins in the supreme court you can call them gone. The high court is going to rule on Californias interpretation of the constitution that the right to keep and bear arms applies to the state militia and not to the individual. If all goes bad Im calling mine hidden cause I will never give them up. BJ has a point and I think gun is what it is and weapon scares the crap out of the people who have lost touch with their roots in this country. Fact is that firearm, gun or weapon is the same to these people. I' m gettin too old for this political correctness stuff.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

Political correctness is to say good morning " ladies" when you walk into the office instead of good morning " girls" . Political savvy is to use the correct term for your hunting arms so you are not misunderstood about your intentions or mental state.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m not really replying to the topic at hand at the moment, but I feel this should be brought up.

As far as California goes, you can keep it for all I' m concerned, there' s not a law-maker/politician one out there that as half a brain in their head. HOWEVER, someone might point out to them the signatures at the bottom of the bill of rights as it was drafted 200yrs ago. Lest they forget that the framers of the constitution did not support a central government, supporting almost all powers to the states themselves. As such, it is to be understood that the right to bear arms shall not be given to the state, but to not be infringed upon by the state, as they were intended to be the sole enforcers of the constitution. One might also recall that there is no mention of a " state militia" in the second amendment, so by forming our own militia, one would be able to argue that the " state militia" is no better than our own, and in fact is worse in the eyes of the constitution because it is orchestrated overall by the National government, which the framers of the constitution did not support.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:17 AM

Both weapon and rifle is the right word. A weapon describes a certain tool, pistol, rifle, shotgun, baseball bat, knives, sling shot whatever. This is like the courts arguing about the definetion of an assault rifle. It doesn' t matter if a person is shooting at you with a single shot .223 a doubel rifle in .505 gibbs a lever action 30/30 a semi auto .308, if he hits you, you will FEEL assaulted.

Also look what P.C. has done for us we now have people saying they harvest game like this is some sterile non-violent way to bring home the venison.
Let' s get real when we put a chunk of lead through a critter or an arrow, we kill it plain and simple. We should not be ashamed of giving an game animal a good, quick, clean death. Look at it this way when we kill wild game it gets a quicker death than nature gives it i.e. being eaten alive by wolves, starving in winter and drought, not being abel to eat due to bad teeth etc.

Sorry to change the subject, but I see it as the same sad topic, the casturization of the American spirit.[:' (]
Old 05-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont call my bow either. I call her sweetheart!

I refer to my shotguns or rifles as shotguns or rifles. I refer to my Colt Anaconda 44mag as The weapon of mass destruction![8D]
Old 05-10-2003, 06:29 PM
nub

First, I' m haveing a hard time believing BJ cares what anybody thinks. When I refer to my firearms I say, my 300, my 12 ga., my 30-30, and so on.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe Bj is going to run for office? But ya do have some great points , as do many others.
Seems we need a teem a lawyers( they know the speal) & a full timepublic relations firm (&payed for in yer pocket politicans) just to keep up with the media, anti gun nuts& others... just to keep some basic rights[:@]

Play the game or else?

aways seems like a holding action- never progress in the other direction.

Old 05-11-2003, 09:13 PM

huntingirl has some VERY good points here