Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

One Weapon

Old 01-07-2006, 08:59 PM

Default One Weapon

I've always loved firearms, and I've always owned them, but I am now recently married and I have a new daughter. My question is if you could own only one firearm to protect your family what would it be?

Right now the weapons that I am considering are a tactical pump shotgun or a 40 s&w. I've owned 9mms in the past, but I don't know if I would feel safe protecting my family with one. I am really intrigued by the 10mm, but I have no experience, and it is hard to find people that own them to get their opinions. Anyway I appreciate you guys giving me imput in advance.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: One Weapon

I just recently read an article about this very subject. The writer went on to point something out that I never gave a thought to. Lets say you have someone in your house, and you will be shooting at them (just for the sake of your question). The writer felt that a reduced load shotgun would probably be the better bet considering who may also be in your house (kids sleeping ect) a .45 cal bullet can go through alot of walls. Now before anyone jumps on me, NO Ive never shot a gun in my house, and NO I dont know the true affect of a .45 cal bullet compared to a reduced load shotgun, but it kinda makes sense. Heck for all I know the shotgun may do more damage, I was just reiterating what I read.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a 40 S&W just for this reason, I can have it close at hand at all times, and no one knows its there. If you do buy a pistol for home protection a good thing to have on it is a tactical light and some nite sites. I am going to put together a tactical Benelli M1 Super 90 for the house as well once funds allow. The nice thing about a shotgun is its alot cheaper to go out an play with than any pistol caliber.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

.357 Mag. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think if you have children in your house then a shotgun would be to hard to hide/store safely from the kids and still be easily accesible to you. You can buy a small safe for a handgun that all you have to do is touch the top of it with 4 fingers and it opens. It can be set for 2 different people. That way the handgun would be safe from children and very easy accesible. Face it most times if you need a home defense weapon in a situation,you prob wont have time tohave the ammo and gun seperated or have a trigger lock on it.
If factory ammo is the way your going, then just buy the home defense ammo. It is made to break up very quickly when it hits a target so it doesnt penetrate through walls and such.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:06 AM

I had originally thought that I would want a 12 gauge pump with a tactical light, shortened stock and a 16 inch barrell. I read an article that said the best load to take out an intruder was #1 buckshot. I felt that if I had one weapon to walk down a dark hallway with I would want a shotgun because if I shoot I've got a good chance to hit the person that I'm shooting at, but I've had handguns all my life and I do have some of the same feelings about concealment and safety.

This will be the only weapon in my home that is loaded and accesible at all times. The only reason that I could see choosing a shotgun for safety is that is doesn't look like a toy and my daughter would have to be much older to be able to pick it up. Thanks for the advice, but I could still use some more advice.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can get prefragmented ammo to help some withthe overpenetaration problems when shooting in a home- Glasser safety slugs& other brands - like that used by air marrshals on planesetc

10 mm,s are pretty nice wish they had become more commen-traded mine awile ago

Id much rather have a H&k submichine gun in 10mm or 40.cal verses 9mm. Id take it as my one firearm to maybe
Old 01-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

You can buy a small safe for a handgun that all you have to do is touch the top of it with 4 fingers and it opens. It can be set for 2 different people.
I have never seen a safe like this? I guess I better start looking for one. I like this idea.
Something about thesound of a pump action shotgun. Every robber should run from the sound, of you pumping the action.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:37 AM

If i had to have a gun in my hand it would have to be some sort of tactical shotgun, i feel like if i shoot with my shotgun something is going down,

however another thing to think of is what if there are innocent people around the "bad guy" or something in that scenario, then you would definitely have to take precautions before you go firing of shotgun rounds, just something to think of, good luck with your decision
Old 01-08-2006, 11:10 AM

Sniper you have a good point. I hope that I never have to take this weapon out for anything other than cleaning and target practice, but if I needed to I would hate to have something that could endanger my family. That was one reason that I was leaning toward a tactical shotgun because of penetration problems with handguns, but if there was a situation like you are mentioning it would be better to have a handgun. I personally feel like a burglary is more likely, but if I get a handgun I would be able to get a concealed weapons permit, and that might be more valuable. I personally fear having someone in my house when I come home more than someone coming into my home while I'm there. It just seems more likely to happen.

Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy both.

Quick Reply: One Weapon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.