Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Weapon or Rifle?

Old 05-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default Weapon or Rifle?

In the army, yer rifle is a " weapon" . In the hunting world, its a " rifle" .

Hunters gotta disconnect themselves from violence. We' re outdoorsmen, not soldiers, cops, or criminals. I say usin' the term " weapon" is cuttin' our own throuts an' needs to be eliminated.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Weapon or Rifle?

I' ve never thought about it that way but you have a good point.

According to the dictionary a rifle, knife, bow etc... is only a weapon if it is used for fighting. " any object or instrument used in fighting" .
Old 05-05-2003, 02:16 PM
Matriarch Doe!

I call my rifle a rifle, but don' t think anything is wrong with it being called a weapon. I don' t think it' s possible or even advisable for hunters to " disconnect" themselves from the violence present in nature. Ever seen a predator take down it' s prey? Nothing tame about it. Nature is herself often violent and unforgiving. There are plenty of cases when guns are used in self-defense in nature (cougar, grizzlies, even elk or moose). To forget that or try to water it down is not something I would want to do. I just don' t think the term " weapon" is found by most people to be offensive when talking about any firearm, unless that person happens to be anti-gun to begin with, in which case it doesn' t matter how you try to sugar-coat it, they' re still gonna have a problem with it.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

Violence is a millisecond in many days or weeks of " hunting" . It is related to harvest, not fighting. Hunters have respect for their game, and animals (including some hunters) do it to fulfill basic needs, not because of strategic combat and without animosity or hatred. Connect the " violence" of nature to your huntin' all you want, but when you' re labeled a gun nut an' you lose yer rights to hunt with a " weapon" you' ll wish you chose yer words a lil' more carefully.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:50 PM
Matriarch Doe!

Like I said, I refer to my rifle as a rifle, I just personally have never thought anything about others calling theirs a weapon. I can understand your point about those who are anti-gun having a problem with it, I just meant that I don' t think the terminology is going to make them happy no matter what word is used. They will have a problem no matter what. If those who call it a weapon want to change to " rifle" that' s fine too.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

I like yer fish.

I come in contact with a lot of yuppie, non-hunters. They see huntin' as a violent act mosly. I always try to convey huntin' as an outdoors activity, not one of shootin' or gun play. Thet' s the way it was looked at when I was a tadpole. All this " gun nut" crap is recent. Outdoorsmen need to connect with non-hunters an' distance themselves from the lunatic fringe. Hold on to your rights by admitin' thet the non-huntin' majority has a right to their beliefs, as long as they' re honest. In a democracy, we could go down with the ship on this one, or we could have a life raft of our own. I refer to my hunting tool as a rifle. I also hate poachers, lament road kill, an' help finance conservation. Hunters gotta be more grassroots, sharper politically, startin' with their vocabulary.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:07 PM
Matriarch Doe!

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

startin' with their vocabulary.
Dang Beaver I knew you could talk straight. Before I read that last line I was thinking this sure is easy to read.LOL
Old 05-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

I agree beaver we gotta do whatever we can to keep the publics opinion of us a good one!
Old 05-05-2003, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Beaver, I think you' re over reacting just a mite.
Besides you might have to turn somewhat political in order to accomplish your thoughts. The Idaho Fish & Game regs. employ the word weapon over a 100 times. In terms as " choose your weapon" " any weapon" and so on. Besides the more I think about it, a rifle or pistol or bow etc. is a weapon, not a tool or any other sugar coated name ones try to camoflaouge it with. Besides I happen to like the word weapon, rifle is ok too.
Every man or woman is entitled to their own opinion, I respect yours, it' s just so happens mine differs from yours. No hard feelings.
elknut1

Quick Reply: Weapon or Rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.