Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 No elk tag - Grouse? Bear? >

No elk tag - Grouse? Bear?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

No elk tag - Grouse? Bear?

Old 06-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default No elk tag - Grouse? Bear?

Well, I was invited along with my buddy and his family on a fantastic elk hunt in GMU 5 in CO. Turns out I'm the only one who didn't draw. this would have been my first elk hunt, too. I put in 1st choice for either sex and 2nd choice cow and got neither. Turns out the DOW reduced licences in this area quite a bit. My 14 year old son drew a cow tag so I'll be hunting with him and helping him (which is great) but I won't be able to fill my own tag. I think I have a few options.

a. Take a shot gun along and tag some grouse (there are supposed to be plenty and they are in an area away from where we hunt elk) once we've filled my son's tag.

b. Try for a left over elk license for this GMU, but it looks like it won't be likely as they cut back on the licenses specifically to reduce the number of leftovers.

c.Try for an OTC bear license for the unit. I could do this but I'm thinking that it would be a waste because I will still need to be with my son and it's like trying to fit two totally different hunts into one.

I think I'll go for some grouse either way, but what are your thoughts on getting a bear tag? This would be 1st rifle (early Oct).

Spud

Old 06-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No elk tag - Grouse? Bear?

I would just plan on finding, killing & packing out your son's elk. That should keep you busy enough?Lots more meat on an elk than a grouse.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

agreed, help out your son. I suspect for next year you'll have an extra point, so whatever info you learn this year you can put towards next year on your hunt...or both of yours hunts next year.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

Even with a Elk tag, I bring a shotgun....dang it, the Blues I have taken were all taken with a .357! Bear....not likely, but it is a chance! You are gonna need a tag for the Bear and small game for the Grouse.
Dan

Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

I get the combo small game fishing license each year so I'm good for grouse. I will probably take the shot gun and/or my .22 revolver. They are good eating. I was kind of figuring that just getting one elk is plenty to deal with, but I'd sure like to have two tags just in case I have a shot and he doesn't (skill levels are different). Thinking about it I realized I was a bit overzealous talking about a bear tag. It'd be trying to cram 2 seperate hunts into one. I think I was just suffering because I have a new BLR in 270 WSM and it pains me to think of not using it.

Thanks for the input.

Spud
Old 06-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let you son borrow you new rifle.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Wolf Killer - I'm glad you have a sense of humor about this.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: spuddog

Wolf Killer - I'm glad you have a sense of humor about this.

LOL I am glad you have one also.
Ionce had my wife jump outthe truck with my brandnew deerrifle(25-06) and shoot two deer before I could even get out of the truck. Both deer fell afterrunning just a few yards. My wife handed me my new rifle back & all she said was thanks, I think you are going to like your new rifle.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Now I'm laughing.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Its up to you but you might scare the elk if you shoot a grouse? You could designate certain times for grouse like in the middle of the day when the elk are likely in their beds.