Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Ya know Grouse just might be right... >

Ya know Grouse just might be right...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ya know Grouse just might be right...

Old 05-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Ya know Grouse just might be right...

i was/am handling one of those Knight Visions breakopens - that gun is not at all what I thought it might be. Since Sportsman was selling them a really low price I guess I believed it to be somewhat a second rate Knight. I guess I was thinking of some hollow stock lightweight performer, it isn't. The stock is solid and the guns has heft to it - doesn't seem to be alum-num . The action is very tight and the trigger pull seems really smooth. And it does not hurt that is has Green Mountain barrel on it.

The locking lever works very well and is not an obstuction. When you break it open it is very tight - I could not get any side to side movement at all, and when you close it shuts really nice - kinda reminds of when you close a car door you know right away how well the car might be built. It close tight and snug.

Another thing - no hammer to pull back to shoot - just push the trigger safety off and you are good to go.

Take down pretty simple, even removing the trigger assembly looks easy a couple of screws and it is out.

Stock fit and finish - haven't seen to many that are any better.

If you mount a scope you would need either a long eye relief scope like the Omega or extended rings. The LOP is 14 1/8" which is a bit long for me - I would probably cut the stock down 1/2 to 3/4". I like to be somewhere around 13 3/4" to 13 1/2" LOP especially during the winter hunting months.

How does it shoot - I do not know?

But for $180 it seems like it would be a really great buy... (if they can still be had @ that price). I can think of few $180 dollar guns I would not even want - this one is not one of them.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ya know Grouse just might be right...

Sounds like a great rifle.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

SWThomas

Spencer i forgot to mention that it has a redesigned BP in them now - no blowback... Dang! I should have asked about shooting BH.

I still a have a bit of a problem with the looks... It reminds me so much of my Remington 870 turkey shotgun... it just looks like a shotgun.

One thing for sure I KNOW I like the thought of just pushing the safety off versus pulling a hammer back like on my Omega or Triumph

A person could almost afford to get one of these just for a backup..
Old 05-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most of what you describe are the things I like about my Mustang - solid as a rock, all steel,tight lock up, no hammer, sliding tang safety, no side movement when open,good fit and finish.

What doesn't match is the trigger and trigger assembly. Trigger pull on the Mustang is rotten and you can't get to the trigger group without removing the butt stock. But it does look like a rifle, not a shotgun (and cost me$100 more).

Old 05-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Dominant Buck

We all know that Sabotloader could use another rifle. I think its made for his collection.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oh, I think he'llend up with one. He held it. He liked it. He posted how much he liked it. He's even contemplating cutting the stock down. Yep, HOOKED.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

NO! I am not considering another rifle - I was just commenting.... I do not need another one...

This one is a friends that I am doing some work on.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Sportsman's Guide is calling you Sabotloader. Tell the wife that this is 100% guaranteed cross your heart the last one you will ever tell her about...

order the gun now and you can then tune yours at the same time. What a wonderful idea..
Old 05-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Sabotloader, i have been right on an occasion. Knight wont tell you that's a BH209 plug. But it is.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

At that price I don't think you can afford not to get one.
Art

Quick Reply: Ya know Grouse just might be right...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.