Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Del Sol Outfitters

Old 11-12-2008, 12:26 PM

Default RE: Del Sol Outfitters

The answer is a contract - get it all in writing and there will be no issues or none without legal remedy. Shay you are right - we get nowhere name callin. But you crossed the line withyour response, you did not offer anything and have been defensive from the start. Fact is no one was happy, if you are confident list Ellis as a referral and see how the business goes.

In the end I spent $2500 on a camping trip food was good and scenery was great.

I personally have never hunted with an outfitter and I wont do it again. I have hunted public land for elk twice and had good success. Maybe I expected too much . I know Cam Hanes got blanked in the same area just before we rolled in.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:56 PM

Shaun,

I do honestly apologize for the situation. The expectations and what we delivered. If I sounded a bit defensive from the start, well then I guess I was. When someone is messing with your livelihood, you do tend to get a bit defensive. I never resorted to name calling, feeling getting personal wouldn't get us anywhere.

How did I cross the line with my response? I've asked very pointed questions, (IE, the Spike Bull and herd in camp question) And one question I forgot to ask, and that was about a 5 point bull not more than a 1/4 mile away near the little lake adjacent to the camp. But again, I'm asking pointed questions and you haven't given me any straight answers. You have made complaints to me, and I have answered each one directly.

You say there were no elk within X amount of feet, yards, miles of camp. I say there was. I'm getting a copy of Jordan's journal in the next day or so. He has documentation of everything he saw from June 16th, the first day he was in the mountains until November 9th, the last day he was in there.

You say nobody scouted, I say 3 of us did. I will not budge on that fact.

I don't know what more I can say. Like I said in my original post, this was going to be, and is a "he said versus she said".

I'm sorry that you have a bad taste about Outfitters. We provide a good service, getting people deep into unpressured areas. We provide meat hauls, that allow hunters to keep hunting instead of spending days back packing elk out of the wilderness.

We have more expenses than is imaginable, we barely turn a dollar. We do it, because we love to talk hunting, we love to hunt, we love to take others hunting. And we want to promote our backyard as some of the best hunting, and scenic areas that the state of Oregon has to offer.

Shaun, I'm going to be hunting all next archery season. I will set aside 7 days during the 2nd week of the season, and you and I will go hunting in that exact same country that you guys were at. No wall tents, no dome tents, no Bob the cook, and no cots, just hunting off of our backs. You just find a way out here and I will take care of the rest.

We will horse back ride up to the top where you guys camped. And we will say so-long to the horses, and say "come get us in 7 days". We will bust our butts, but we will find elk. And we will have opportunities. Not guaranteeing a kill, not even guaranteeing a shot. But I will show you how this country needs to be hunted. We will probably never sleep in the same spot twice.

And for a bonus, I will carry my video camera, and after the hunt you can offer me your honest video testimonial.

I'm dead serious about this offer.

You want to make it right, lets make it right. By the way, I will be carrying my bow as well. But I will let you have the first shot.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not sure where man of death is at, but that offer sounds good to me
Old 11-12-2008, 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: jofus13

I dunno, my first (and hopefully not last) elk hunting trip wasn't with an outfitter, but rather with my buddy's dad (who used to guide and grew up in the area), but we hiked 6 miles (and 2500 feet elevation) leading pack horses to sleep in a homemade (on the spot, out of a lot of tarps and a lot of rope) tent in the last rifle season. Morning temps in the tent were between 0 and 5 F, I didn't sleep a bit the first 2 nights (the 50+ mph wind and snow blowing in through the tarps didn't help), we ate mountain house meals all week, had to carry our water from a spring up the hill a ways, and I only saw the hind end of one elk for a split second, and then had a good look at a spike that I couldn't shoot.

And I can't wait to go back.

Even if I didn't really get acclimated to the altitude til the last day of our hunt You can get in shape (which I did fairly well), but it's still hard to prepare for 10,000 feet when the highest point around where you live is 3000 feet.

My point is (if I have one) is that you don't go Elk hunting expecting a walk in the park. I don't think I would head into the Rockies in the middle of summer without a cold weather sleeping bag, just in case. Even if the tent had been heated, heaters can break down, right?
Now here is a man that gets elk hunting. jofus we are kindred spirits.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:32 PM

Shay, thats an outstanding offer and I may take you up on it but I really want to get into Hells Canyon. I will let you know. I have nothing else to say - you stepped up and offered to make it right - you have done your part. If I can I will take you up on it. You are right the weather was really bad for elk that week. To be honest I am into hunting and I would have never signed on for the full supplied camp to start with but thats water under the bridge. I think if you would have been in camp it would have made a big difference as well. Both Jordan and Bob didnt seem to be in the loop on some of the information. Again I appreciate it - and I will let you know
Old 11-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

Shay Mann, while painful for you I'm sure, it was great to see this conversation unfold. I believe you went above and beyond to remedy this and I'll be interested to here the outcome.

Man of Death - If you're not already, make sure your're in shape! I just about died on my last elk hunting adventure.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: man of death

Shay, thats an outstanding offer and I may take you up on it but I really want to get into Hells Canyon. I will let you know. I have nothing else to say - you stepped up and offered to make it right - you have done your part. If I can I will take you up on it. You are right the weather was really bad for elk that week. To be honest I am into hunting and I would have never signed on for the full supplied camp to start with but thats water under the bridge. I think if you would have been in camp it would have made a big difference as well. Both Jordan and Bob didnt seem to be in the loop on some of the information. Again I appreciate it - and I will let you know
I'm game for Hell's Canyon as well. I like the Caps better because of the water situation. There are springs everywhere in the Eagle Caps. Hells Canyon, you really have to plan your hunt. And carry more water than you normally would. I've hunted it a ton, and I know where elk are. So we can head in there, doesn't matter to me. You will probably run into more people in Hell's Canyon, because it is easier to access. And the access road to Hell's Canyon goes to the summit, versus in the Eagle Caps everything starts from the rivers and you have to climb.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow an outfitter whose reputation and pride go beyond money. This started out bad and cast a poor light on your operation Shay. 6 pages of posts and you are shown to be the real deal. I commend you on your approach to bring closure. I hope all turns out well for all of you.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Spike

Excellent job. an outfitter that really does care. i can understand someone upset with a bad experience and one bad thing can lead up to being just horrible especially when its so costly. good luck to the both of you!! ill take that offer if he dont!!! im sure i can make it lol