HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Del Sol Outfitters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/271986-del-sol-outfitters.html)

man of death 11-05-2008 02:59 PM

Del Sol Outfitters

I initiated this thread after having a bad experience - if you go to the last page - Shay Mann offers to make it up to me, I do not know if I will take him up on it - regardless he offered - I have nothing else to say about Del Sol- they obiviously care about their clients

MTMountainMan 11-05-2008 06:25 PM

RE: Del Sol Outfitters

That's a lot of money. Good for you for letting people know you were disappointed. Sorry it wasn't as great as you'd hoped.

finnbear 11-05-2008 08:15 PM

man of death;
I hope U left a big tip so ya don't get turkeyward all shookup[&:]

thommon 11-06-2008 10:47 AM

Are you talking about Shay Mann?
Del Sol in Oregon?
And the great Dutch Oven Cook?

T

huntingson 11-06-2008 11:25 AM

That's good to know.

It is unfortunate and disappointing to a degree that is hard to communicate when you put so much trust in an outfitter and they hang you out to dry. I sure hope your future hunts are successful and fulfilling!

907Alaska 11-06-2008 11:42 PM

Man, that's alot of money, too bad you got treated like crap. I have never understood why people (guides/outfitters) do this, it is not good word of mouth...maybe someday they will realize that bad news travels twice as fast as good news...Word of mouth is everything in this business!

thommon 11-07-2008 10:15 AM

I'm curious as to what hunt package you booked. They offer several.
Their Delux package is a bit vague on their web site.
Shay Mann posted on Jesseshunting.com a couple years ago a video of a hunt.
Every body was impressed by the video.
I was a bit skeptical after having been on several wilderness hunts and then watching them build their website.
If I ever go on another guided Elk hunt it will be with one outfit and one outfit only out of Jackson Wyoming.
They deliver the goods.

T

JNTURK 11-07-2008 10:22 AM

man of death:

who was the guide? was it Shay Mann?? i know of them and know MANY that use their services and feel that you may be mis-leading others on this site.... can you clearify please!

shay mann 11-07-2008 01:47 PM

My name is Shay Mann and I work for Barry Cox and Del Sol Wilderness Adventures. My screen name is Shay Mann and my phone number is 541-912-0340, so I have nothing to hide. I know of the trip that this anonymous poster is referring to. I won't get into a big he said she said battle on hunting forums. But as most of you know there are two sides to the story.

I will be the first to say that there were a couple of logistical issues, but they were solved to the best of our ability considering the circumstances.

The assumption being made is that this camp is a summer camp and only a hunting camp afterthought is extremely misleading. We can have camps that are used as summer camp as well as elk camps. This is the same camp that Cameron Hanes has hunted out of for many years. This country is tough. Elk are not around every tree. You have to work for it, you have to climb mountains, hike for miles and overcome the mental and physical challenges that ANY true wilderness elk hunt demands. Unless you are hunting on ranch with fences.

All but one of the guys in the group are from the Midwest area, hunting primarily whitetails. I'm not trying to sound insulting, but wilderness elk hunting is nothing like whitetail hunting. That is why you don't see many people back there. Elk don't reside behind every tree, and in every draw or canyon.

As I'm writing this, I'm starting to get a little irritated or at least concerned that we are getting a bad rap in this regard. I previously stated that I won't get into a "he said, she said" But I think I may have just changed my mind. This isn't the first post from this author on a hunting forum, misleading others of the situation that happened last year.

We had two archers from California that booked a hunt, and stayed in the exact same location. First year elk hunters, they didn't kill an elk. But had shots, and have already booked for next year. They hiked out, bivy'd out and did all they could to get them the best opportunity. The loved it....

shay mann 11-07-2008 02:18 PM

I should mention, that only one person paid for a guided hunt. The others paid for just a deluxe hunt. Which includes tent accommodations, cook, and all the basics that a camp would include. The guide (Jordan) was there for one reason, and that was to hunt for his only client. And he did. If there was a promise that the other clients would have riding horses, then I guess we didn't provide that. But we wouldn't have made an offer for riding horses, and just allowed them to take off on their own. Not with our insurance, and not with our animals. Jordan couldn't ride everybody out, because he was guiding for his client that paid the extra money for the guide.

Here is a quote from the guided client after the hunt.

"I saw your e-mail. Just so you know, I was pleased with my hunt and Jordan.
Jordan did a great job for me and is an overall great guy. I had my chances at a bull and was fortunate enough to get a shot at a huge bull. Tell Jordan hello for me and tell him I enjoyed the trip and meeting him. As far as the others, they were just disappointed in the number of elk they saw.
Me, I saw elk.
"

The tent situation, again, was a misunderstanding thinking that we had heaters in there. Which we didn't. But during the heat of the battle, we provide mantie tarps and horse pads to get them through the cooler nights. But my only question is that if someone knew they are going to bivy or spike out for a few nights away from the comforts of a deluxe camp setup, wouldn't that person have brought a heavier sleeping bag or bag liner, instead of a "lighter bag" as mentioned in the original complaint.