Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I Shot My Sons Bull !!!!!

Old 10-07-2008, 01:14 PM

Default RE: I Shot My Sons Bull !!!!!

When I say easy I mean have a good chance at getting a bull. I realize the hunting would be REALLY tough.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

Clint--nothing easy about OTC elk hunting for sure! Your chances of filling an ID elk tag would be according to ones elk hunting experience! The Zone we hunt has a 6.6% success ratio. There were more than 2000 hunters in this zone this year, you can see most go home with nothing, so nope, it's not a slam dunk hunt, not even close! The country is rough to boot & takes a willing heart as well as a fit person to be able to hunt day after day! Good Luck!

ElkNut1
Old 10-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome story. Elk hunting is the best there is!
Old 10-08-2008, 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: elknut1

Clint--nothing easy about OTC elk hunting for sure! Your chances of filling an ID elk tag would be according to ones elk hunting experience! The Zone we hunt has a 6.6% success ratio. There were more than 2000 hunters in this zone this year, you can see most go home with nothing, so nope, it's not a slam dunk hunt, not even close! The country is rough to boot & takes a willing heart as well as a fit person to be able to hunt day after day! Good Luck!

ElkNut1
I got the fitness part down and I'm a decent hunter/caller. Not a pro by anymeans but I've done my fair share of research and listening to the wiley critters. Some of the terrain I hunt in northeastern washington is pretty rough stuff. I had to grab the little tree's growing on the side of the mountain to pull myself up/keep myself from tumbling down. My main thing is going to be finding an area out of everyones way that not too many people would be in. Thanks for the tips Elknut. I'd probably be looking at the panhandle since it's right next door to me. Do you hunt around McCall? My mom works for a Telephone company and I believe they own one of the Elk ranches around there.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, I live & hunt in the McCall area, much of it is burned these days but the elk have done their best to frequent certain areas that still allows them to be huntable. Good Luck with future hunts!!!

ElkNut1
Old 10-09-2008, 11:10 PM

Thanks for the story and thank you for sharing your calling knowledge! We are all better elk hunters now.

If you are ever planning a hunt out of state, check out the maps on my site.

www.kmlers.com
Old 10-10-2008, 06:53 PM

Hey Paul--just got finished reading your and Pauls greatstorys. Man that is something. Tell Paul that next time he will have to throw a bigger rock as you are running past him like a wild man on a mission,HA!!Hate that he missed that big one but that is part of it.Sometimes I think I would have been better off coming to ID this year instead of CO.Maybe next time!!!
Hey that chuckler sure does sound good. That is the first time I have been able to do chuckles!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bull congrats
Old 10-11-2008, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

Harold, Thanks, yes he will have to throw a bigger rock or something!! (grin) I can't imagine how I never saw him? It was flat exciting to call that big bull to him, it was about 35-40yds from me but I didn't lay eyes on him at all.
Glad to hear that Chuckler is working out for you, so far 40-50 bulls were taken with it just this year, we'll have all posted on our Site in the next couple of weeks, have a doz or so right now though. Thanks!

ElkNut1