Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What's in your daypack?  What's back at camp? >

What's in your daypack? What's back at camp?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What's in your daypack? What's back at camp?

Old 09-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What's in your daypack? What's back at camp?

Horses are a great tool, they are great for those before day light walks towhere you want to be by day lightor after sundown walks back to the trail head or camp from your hunting area.Depends on your style of hunting, I also carry my spotter and tripodeveryday.It could save you miles of walking by carrying it along with you. I also ditto the wyoming saw, light and compact. Great forprocessing the elk in the field and also serves as an emergency tool if you get stuck on the mountain over night during a storm. I never leave home with out it too.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bet those horses make it MUCH easier packing out an elk!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends,sometimes I would rather pack them out on my back.
BBJ
Old 09-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

My only experience with horses were borrowed and it seemed like we spent about as much time messing with the horses as we did hunting. And in the end result we didn't shoot anything so they weren't even useful in packing anything out because we didn't get anything! [&:]

This may be completely different because the guy who owns the horses will be there though. The primary area we are planning on hunting is pretty small in the grand scheme of things and I am curious if we will use the horses to ride or if we will just use them in the event that we kill something to help haul it out. The area I'm hunting is an either sex area though,so it might be easier to pull the trigger on a cow on the last day knowing that I wouldn't have to pack it out by myself.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just got done with my 6 mile run tonight. Not going to set any speed records, but I think I'm finally getting in decent shape.

2 things that I forgot to put on the list - chapstick and couple pairs of nitrile gloves. Historically I haven't used gloves when field dressing or quartering animals but I'm trying to get in the habit especially with pigs.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never liked horses and horses never liked me. Some people do really well with horses, but I just can't read horse body language. Everytime I've been on a horse, they seem to know that I don't know what the heck I'm doing on the back of one and they just kind of do their own thing. I've been told I had had a natural stance when riding, but I just never trusted one enough for anything more than a trail ride. I'd rather ride a bull, at least then I know what to expect.

As for my back packs, I used a fanny pack one year and didn't like how it bounced under my main pack when I was walking. I use an external frame back pack with a haversack (like a possibles bag). In the haversack, I have a leatherman, bone saw, GPS, flashlight, parachute cord, rain gear, contractor's tape, and some snacks and a cow call. In the main pack I havea fewextra clothes, box of ammo, tarp, work gloves, first aid kit in an external pocket, spare lighter, and two way radio and some more food and water.

In my truck, I leave a note on the dashboard saying what direction I'm headed, what time I expect to be back, and the channel my radio will be on in case of problems.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I would want a camera with me.You are probably going to see some neat things that you would want pictures of.
My good camera is bigger also and It seemsalot of times I wish I had a smaller one so i would carry it more.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well it's back to the original plan. No horses. They needed to be tested for something that takes a week to get the results back on and they didn't realize that until it was less than a week to go. Did you catch that? LESS THAN A WEEK TO GO!!!
Old 09-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, I bought a compact canon camera today. I researched it out and ended up gettin the SD1100 IS. The wife has been wanting one anyway and they are on sale. It only weighs 5oz.

I also just ended up buying a ready made first aid kit instead of making my own. It was $15 and has just a little of this and a little of that and is designed for backpacking so it is all bundled up in a nice little package.

I bought a couple pairs of 60/40 cotton poly blend camo pants on sale for $15 each at Academy Sport also. I'm bringing a few pair of jeans though in case those rub me or something. They are a little loose and the wife is taking them up in the waist some. The large size fit in the waist but the thighs were too small and the XL size felt good in the thighs but the waist is too big.

2 days until I hit the road!!!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: npaden

I've shot an elk, but not a bull. They are big animals but I still don't understand why that means I need a saw. In my experience with deer and pigs it is MUCH quicker to not use a saw but to cut the meat and tendons to get to the joints and cut there. I've skinned and quartered 15 animals in the last year.

The time I shot an elk we didn't have a saw but I didn't have the experience that I have now in quartering other animals and it was a mess. We got the job done but it was a struggle. We didn't have a sharpener either and the knife was dull to begin with. Hence this thread double checking what I plan on bringing. But I still don't think I need a saw to quarter an elk.
Sorry I have been out of town but I have to reply.

OK let me try and convince you again. You said you have never shot a bull. When you shoot that small 4X4 or 5X5 up in the back country are you going towaste energy and pack out the entire head? I wouldn't and how would you detach the antlers?

Also do you take the tenderloins? If so how do you thing you are going to get them out. You will be up to your waist crawling in the ribcage to get them out.

I would have to agree with you on one thing. You do not need a saw to get the 4 quarters apart. But there are other aspects. How about the extra weight of packing out the lower legs. We usually saw those off as well.

Actually we have actually started taking 18V Dewalt sawzalls with wood blades to quarter elk. It all depends on where it falls to use it though.

All in all good luck and get out and hear some bugles. That is all that matters really. I am not arguing just showing how strong I beleive in carrying a saw.

Also how about wilderness survival without a saw?

Quick Reply: What's in your daypack? What's back at camp?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.