HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's in your daypack? What's back at camp?
Old 09-14-2008, 12:13 AM
kodiakhuntmaster
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's in your daypack? What's back at camp?

I never liked horses and horses never liked me. Some people do really well with horses, but I just can't read horse body language. Everytime I've been on a horse, they seem to know that I don't know what the heck I'm doing on the back of one and they just kind of do their own thing. I've been told I had had a natural stance when riding, but I just never trusted one enough for anything more than a trail ride. I'd rather ride a bull, at least then I know what to expect.

As for my back packs, I used a fanny pack one year and didn't like how it bounced under my main pack when I was walking. I use an external frame back pack with a haversack (like a possibles bag). In the haversack, I have a leatherman, bone saw, GPS, flashlight, parachute cord, rain gear, contractor's tape, and some snacks and a cow call. In the main pack I havea fewextra clothes, box of ammo, tarp, work gloves, first aid kit in an external pocket, spare lighter, and two way radio and some more food and water.

In my truck, I leave a note on the dashboard saying what direction I'm headed, what time I expect to be back, and the channel my radio will be on in case of problems.