HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's in your daypack? What's back at camp?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:21 PM
sclwald
Fork Horn

Default RE: What's in your daypack? What's back at camp?

ORIGINAL: npaden

I've shot an elk, but not a bull. They are big animals but I still don't understand why that means I need a saw. In my experience with deer and pigs it is MUCH quicker to not use a saw but to cut the meat and tendons to get to the joints and cut there. I've skinned and quartered 15 animals in the last year.

The time I shot an elk we didn't have a saw but I didn't have the experience that I have now in quartering other animals and it was a mess. We got the job done but it was a struggle. We didn't have a sharpener either and the knife was dull to begin with. Hence this thread double checking what I plan on bringing. But I still don't think I need a saw to quarter an elk.
Sorry I have been out of town but I have to reply.

OK let me try and convince you again. You said you have never shot a bull. When you shoot that small 4X4 or 5X5 up in the back country are you going towaste energy and pack out the entire head? I wouldn't and how would you detach the antlers?

Also do you take the tenderloins? If so how do you thing you are going to get them out. You will be up to your waist crawling in the ribcage to get them out.

I would have to agree with you on one thing. You do not need a saw to get the 4 quarters apart. But there are other aspects. How about the extra weight of packing out the lower legs. We usually saw those off as well.

Actually we have actually started taking 18V Dewalt sawzalls with wood blades to quarter elk. It all depends on where it falls to use it though.

All in all good luck and get out and hear some bugles. That is all that matters really. I am not arguing just showing how strong I beleive in carrying a saw.

Also how about wilderness survival without a saw?