Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Day-packs?

Old 03-30-2003, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Day-packs?

I' m a big fan of " fanny pac" style day packs, I have one out of cabela' s, it' s more comfortable than an undershirt! It was pretty pricey as far as it goes though, as far as I' m concerned, as long as it' s comfortable, a day pack' s a day pack, I' ve had good back packs that have costed $20 be better day packs than some $100 Hunting packs I' ve used (and then returned, bust a zipper and you can return anything). I like to carry things low on my back, more on my hips even, so the cabela' s one is ideal it hangs on your shoulder buy the weight is on your hips. Another one that I love is from WALLY WORLD!!! It' s a pretty handy (just enough volume and pockets etc) back pack, plus it comes with a detach fanny-style. It cost me $25 and was worth every penny, it' s not really water-proof, but it' s more water proof than most of the " water-proof" versions that I' ve bought. One nice thing about fanny style packs is that they don' t have to have bulky padded shoulder straps to be very comfortable. THey' re usually padded enough, don' t confuse that, but it' s hard to shoot sometimes when you bring your gun up into an inch thick pad and only half contact it, smaller pads or only nylon straps are much easier to cope with when shooting with your pack on.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:33 PM

MPI. They make a really nice day pack. It has more cubic inch space than any others I could find at the time I bought it. The only complaint would be no padding on the straps but it rides down on your hips more like a fanny pack. It is saddle cloth and has straps on the outside to roll up clothes and carry on it. They have a web site and when I bought mine they gave me a guy in New York to call who sells them and he had a great price.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:48 PM

I' ve been using the Outfitter' s pack from Crooked Horn Outfitters for couple years now. It' s set up great for carrying a spotting scope and plenty of extra room for clothes, emergency gear etc. It' s made of saddle cloth so it' s quiet and it' s fairly narrow so as not to be grabbing every branch you pass. They cost a little over a hundred bucks, but I think they' re worth ever penny. I' ve got one of those over sized fanny packs with the shoulder straps, but the outfitters pack has a lot better waist band set up to put the weight on your hips. This really helps to minimize fatigue on your shoulders. The outfitters pack also expands or collapses so you can carry as much or as lillte crap as you want to
Old 04-03-2003, 08:37 PM

Hey Rook, it may depend on what kind of back pain lik Oldrgr said. I used a fanny for years w/out suspenders and it made my back worse.I switched to a full on back pack and helped a lot. Depends on what your carrying too.But I' m even considering one of those fannies w/ suspenders too. Cabelas carrys a full line of packs that are pretty cheap,but u get what u pay for,the one I' m getting is $70 and comes with a water bladder and tube.