Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 dall or bighorn, alaska or canada? >

dall or bighorn, alaska or canada?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

dall or bighorn, alaska or canada?

Old 08-02-2008, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default dall or bighorn, alaska or canada?

need some help from the gallery, want to plan my first ram hunt in fall 09, like both the rocky mountain bighorn and dall, any opinions for a first sheep hunt? Also, what area would be the best to focus on...alaska is very appealing, but open to other suggestions, including areas in alaska to target. thanks. Im new to sheep, have experience in high country, hiking rough terrainand w most other big game...
Old 08-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: dall or bighorn, alaska or canada?

I have never huted either but the way I understand it Dall sheep is a considerably harder hunt than Big horn sheep.

For a first (assuming more to follow)sheep hunt I would probably focus on big horn.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:41 AM

I assume you are looking at a guided hunt since in Alaska has a guide requirement for sheep. Alaska's season generally runs from the 10th of August to about the 20th of September. Go to the Alaska website wwww.state.ak.us as it has a bunch of info on hunting the state plus info on the distribution of sheep as well as guides that might help you pin down an area if you choose to experience this great state. Can't help you much on the big horns. Good luck on your quest.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Be aware that the success rate for bighorn in Canada generally runs from 50% to 75% with a top quality outfitter.It is by no means a sure thing.As for the ease of hunting bighorn,it depends on the area,and the hunting method.I have hunted bighorn both by horseback,and by backpack and while horseback hunts are generally easier,backpack hunts can be very tough.Temperatures can range from 90 degrees in the heat of the day,to well below freezing in the early season.In the late season temperatures can easily reach -20 degrees, with two or more feet of snow.
I have not hunted dall sheep,so I can't offer a comparison.