Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 brown bear hunt? alaska or canada >

brown bear hunt? alaska or canada

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

brown bear hunt? alaska or canada

Old 06-03-2003, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default brown bear hunt? alaska or canada

my brother want me to start looking into a brown bear hunt. from what i have seen so far these hunts are very expensive. is there a way to do it at a modest price. i have seen some lower 48 hunts that are cheaper but if this is a once in a lifetime hunt i would rather wait and pay more. the only good choice i have seen is kodiak island. i would like to go with the bow but my brother is looking at 375 h&h magnum.also with an animal that big what is done with the meat. is it like eating black bear or do you donate it to the villages up there? im looking at a couple year time frame so how far in advaned can you actually book and pay off a hunt like this. any ideas would be appreciated!
Old 06-03-2003, 04:39 PM

Default RE: brown bear hunt? alaska or canada

My cousin went up to Alaska on a hunt a few years back for Moose and Caribeau. The same outfitter he went with does brown bear hunts also. What they did was give you some of the meat to take home along with the skull and cape. He said they used the rest of the meat for the next groups of hunters. In his case he took only the antlers and meat because he didn' t have the room for two mounts that size but only got to take around 70 pounds of it. I can get you more info if you want from his outfitter better yet I could probably get the phone number for you, I am sure they would be happy to help you out.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:25 PM

the only places I know of to hunt brown bears is Alaska and Russia unless there is something I am missing here in the lower 48?
If you want a black bear hunt with a good chance at a brown phase let me know I have a buddy that we take big bears with.
[email protected]
Old 06-04-2003, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

thats what i thought too but my brother told me he seen something about canada and lower 48 dont know what that means either? does any state have limited permits. maybe he got confused im talking about grizzly not brown phase black bear.although i would like to some day hunt a phase bear in a spot and stalk.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:09 AM

there are no browns in lower 48 or canada, grizzly is slim to none either, last I knew BC had put a moritorium on griz hunting. so sounds like Alaska is it. GOOD LUCK
Old 06-05-2003, 10:42 AM

http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/LIVEHUNTS/fallgrizzly2002/

you might want to check this out.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:16 PM

I can get you booked on a brown bear hunt and film it to for T.V.