Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Pagosa Springs Elk Hunt. Advice needed >

Pagosa Springs Elk Hunt. Advice needed

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Pagosa Springs Elk Hunt. Advice needed

Old 07-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Spike

Default Something else

Scott, A couple things nobody else has mentioned. If you can hunt with somebody, do it. You'll have your hands full if you get an elk and buddy can assist plus add a little safety if that person is in shape and acclimated to the elevations. Also, put a simple survival kit in your pack. If you twist and ankle you might end up spending a lot more time out there than intended, and a little prep can save your life or somebody else that you happen to find injured. Maybe I'll see you during the 2nd rifle season!
Old 07-25-2010, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

What a great bunch of info!

Wish I could have gotten this when I first started elk hunting Co. instead of trial and error lol.

Im from the flat lands also have been hunting (bow) Co. every year since 95. Only thing I can ad is take your time start earlier and the lighter you can pack the better! Every ounce makes a huge difference I carry one bottle of water I take a purifier if you can find water it will save you a lot of weight .

One other thing is you have to sleep good and eat good you will burn lots of calories this is like a marathon you want to be able to hunt as hard on the last day as the first so pace your self . Oh yeah don't no what it is about the Aspirin thing but it works . Maybe thin blood gets around faster so delivers O2 faster to the muscles just guessing

And # 1 have a great time its an awesome experience!

Good luck!
Shane
Old 07-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Spike

This is GREAT! we are hunting this area 1st elk rifle season and some of the things that were pointed out I had not seen or read anywhere. Never would have thought of lip balm.
Calls? Elk still respond come mid Oct?
Old 04-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Spike

Thumbs up Hunters Needing A Place to Stay In Pagosa Springs.

I rent out my vacation home to hunters each year. If you are interested in finding a nice place to stay while hunting around Pagosa Springs, Co. click on the link below for photos and prices.
http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p341147
Old 04-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is an old thread.

How did the hunt turn out?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:37 PM
RMA
Fork Horn

Call Willie at Crazy Horse Outfitters he can take you on a couple day hunts. He's been outfitting there for 20+ years. I hunted with him a couple years ago and called in a herd bull for him.

www.crazyhorseoutfitter.com