Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Colorado Springs area Mulies? >

Colorado Springs area Mulies?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Springs area Mulies?

Old 02-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Spike

Default Colorado Springs area Mulies?

Im going to be moving to C-Springs her around winter/spring time frame and i am trying to figure out what area around those parts are good for mulies. I dont mind mtns. and I also dont mind desert so any help would be greatly appreciated. And also is there certian regs on Mulies in Colorado im not to sure on what the hunting regs are like. I've looked online and its way differant from Idaho hunting regs. Again thank you for your help.

Matthew
Old 02-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

I've helped several returnees with hunting regs. When ya get back, give me a PM or email and we'll try to get ya hooked up. You are right, regs are different in Co. Several members in the Springs/Pueblo area have done the same. I presume you have your Hunter Safety done?
Dan

Last edited by longknife12; 02-20-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Colorado is 100% draw for deer tags (Res and Non Res). Some areas you can get left over tags and other areas require a pile of pref points. I would suggest applying for a point this year. The app deadline is April 5th so you can still get in and get a point.

Good luck and thank you for serving our country!
Old 02-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Spike

Ok I just relized i didnt put what year ill be moving there around winter/spring of 2011-2012. And what is the point system? I never heard of that. But i wish i could apply right now for a draw but i really can do that in the place i'm in. And yes i have completed my hunter safty course when i was 12 im not new to hunting in fact I kinda make where I go depend on how good the hunting is and what not lol. (wife hates it) But thanks for all the help. really apreciate it alot
Old 02-21-2011, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you apply and don't draw a tag you are awarded a point instead. Tags are limited, so those with more preference points get the tags first. You can apply for just a preference point and not the tag. It would be a good idea to do so. You would need to send in the cost of the tag, $334 when you apply. You then get a refund in June for the total less $28.

The code to use for a preference point for deer is D-P-999-99-P.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/ShopDOW/AppsAndLicenses/
Old 02-21-2011, 04:15 AM
Spike

That is really wierd on how they do that. Do you have any idea why they have it like that? And so with the left over tags, I can just buy over the counter?
Old 02-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Once you figure out the system you can get a point and still hunt. I do it all the time.

You get to have three choice. If you don't get your first pick you get a point for the next year. If you get your second choice. You get to hunt. Sometimes you get your third choice and you can hunt, but that a bit harder to do.

So, what I do is pick a second choice that I know I can get, and pick a long shot for my first choice. I've never gotten the long shot first choice, but I get the point, and I always get my second choice and can hunt.

The more points you get gives you more chance to hunt the popular areas. The problem is once you get your first choice you lose all your points and have to start over.

That's what we get for living in a popular state to hunt. I hunt every year though. You just need to understand the points system. It's much more involved than my post, but you'll figure it out in time.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:47 PM
RMA
Fork Horn

See if you can help me find this guy this year

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2010/08/suburban-legend-giant-mule-deer-buck-four-main-beams-spotted-colorado?photo=1#node-1001367395