Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Pagosa Springs Elk Hunt. Advice needed >

Pagosa Springs Elk Hunt. Advice needed

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Pagosa Springs Elk Hunt. Advice needed

Old 07-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pagosa Springs Elk Hunt. Advice needed

Scott all good advice,You will see a ton of hunters so be prepared, you cannot walk away from them, The hunting can be different, as you might consider Whitetail tactic's, at least for the the first 3 days after that the crowd thins out and you can explore. You could pick out 10 area's on a GPS and end up having hunters at each location. So don't get frustrated just look some more. It is a great time and enjoy just be aware
Redclub
Old 07-04-2008, 02:26 PM
usa
Fork Horn

I've also hunted that area since 94, all good advice but , everyone is an individual so hunt according to whatyour physical limitation's dictate, don't worry if you can't climb the highest mountain. Go in with the attitude that you are going to have a great hunt no matter what, as far as packing out your elk you will be able to do it one quarter at a time, I've packed out 7 of the 8 bull's that I've killed by my self and I'
m 67 yrs old with chronic broncitus. learn how to clean your elk without gutting, it will be much easier and less smelly to attract the localcritters that also want to eat your elk.I can't emphasize enough about water and lip balm, stay hydrated. one more thing in 94 the day before 2nd season opener it was in the 60/70 's overnite it snowed 34 inches and I spent the first half day of opening day towing out stranded hunters, so go prepared.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

Having good gear as mentioned is important. A good backpack, boots and of course layering with good quality clothing. Always pack enough like you plan on staying overnight in the woods (you hope not, but it always pays to be prepared)

I would see if you pack will hold a good hydration bag, and always pack a roll of duct tape...in the event you do develop blisters on the feet, wrapping them with duct tape will not keep you out of the field.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Elkhuntinut,usa,redclub,

Thanks for the great advice. I will absolutely put it to good use. Redclub, No matter what I am going to have a great time, but I hate to hear the area is pretty high pressured. By looking at google earth I have found many back roads that go for quite a distance. I was hoping to get the opportunity to get away from the rest but I will plan for what you had said. Thanks again.

Scott
Old 07-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

A couple more things -- first there are no roads -- it's a wilderness. No motors not even chainsaws. In that area you cannot even use wheels. So mountain bikes and game carts are not even allowed. The other thing is -- it will rain almost every day somewhere around 4 p.m. give or take a couple of hours. Keep your rain gear handy. If you happen to be working a bull when the rain comes, it does not bother the elk a bit they won't even take notice and it helps you to get very close undetected.
You won't be fighting the crowds in there but then you will have to hike up a lot. Pack your home on your back and stay in there. If you hit it right you will need earplugs to sleep. It's great. Nonstop bugles all night long.
Goodluck guys.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:11 PM

Alot of excellent advice on here. I lived in the rockys for a couple of years and go back to CO every chance I get. Asprin/pain reliever, rain gear, long johns, lip balm are all neccessities IMO. Hydrationand physical conditioning are KEY! If you're capable, I strongly suggest walking/jogging stadium stairs or anything similar that you can gain access to. I use a local high school stadum.There's a big difference between being in shape for flat lands and mountains.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Turkeyward,

It looks like the areas I hve been scouting with google earth are just south and east of the wenimuche area. Thanks for the tip on the gamecart as that is something I didnt know and was considering.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys , i have read some great advice on here and am gonna use that advice for my own hunt in September . I'm Bowhunting the Rut in The Holy Cross Wilderness Region , little bit different than the Scottish mountains i usually walk up.

Have a great hunt Scott , keep us informed .
Old 07-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Bailsuk

Guys , i have read some great advice on here and am gonna use that advice for my own hunt in September . I'm Bowhunting the Rut in The Holy Cross Wilderness Region , little bit different than the Scottish mountains i usually walk up.

Have a great hunt Scott , keep us informed .
Scott I have hunted and trekked (hill walking)the Scottish highlands and except for the altitude Co. will not be anymore difficult.
Redclub
Old 07-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks again to all who have replied. I have picked up some great info from these posts and have learned a lot. I will let you all know the progress,thoughts, and then post pics in Oct. I am thinking of buying a bear tag in case I am lucky enough to happen on one while elk hunting. Was wondering if this would be worth while (#'s of bears in the area??)and as always any advice is greatly appreciated.

Scott

Quick Reply: Pagosa Springs Elk Hunt. Advice needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.