Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Colorado Elk/Deer Pref Pts >

Colorado Elk/Deer Pref Pts

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Elk/Deer Pref Pts

Old 06-17-2008, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Colorado Elk/Deer Pref Pts

For elk we always do OTC bull, those tags are great. We didnt draw for 3rd rifle unit 55 mulies, but we did get three points each, otto help next yr. Leftover we put in for 3rd rifle 38-34-444-104 as our 4 choices. We'll see how all that shakes out. Looks like mulies are gonna get inthe way of our elk hunting some. We tried to choose leftovers near unit 55 but its pretty hard to do when the close ones were priv land and I hate knockin on rancher's doors( 'cept for antelope ).

Anyway good luck to all our forum friends here on their draws.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: SILVERTIP-CO

For elk we always do OTC bull, those tags are great. We didnt draw for 3rd rifle unit 55 mulies, but we did get three points each, otto help next yr. Leftover we put in for 3rd rifle 38-34-444-104 as our 4 choices. We'll see how all that shakes out. Looks like mulies are gonna get inthe way of our elk hunting some. We tried to choose leftovers near unit 55 but its pretty hard to do when the close ones were priv land and I hate knockin on rancher's doors( 'cept for antelope ).

Anyway good luck to all our forum friends here on their draws.
Silver, you need a muzzleloading partner this year?

Old 07-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

I put in as a nonresident with 2 pref points for a general muzzle elk tag this year thinkin that i would for sure get drawn. was sure supprised when i didnt. got a mulie tag though. guess its a high country deer hunt in 421! how many points does it generaly take a non res to get a muzzle elk tag?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not all that long ago, it required 1 point for a nonresident. When they went to the 65 / 35% split, it started taking 2 points. Now it requires 3 points to guarantee a tag. This year there were around 1500 nonresident with 2 points and aprox 450 of those got tags.

Another way to look at it. It takes a minimum of 4 years for a nonresident to guarantee a general bull muzzy tag.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

This year they also decreased the no. of ML bull tags,severe winter. Its getting hard to draw a tag, I got a bull tag with 2 points but next time I figure it will be at least 4 and that takes 5 years as you start out at zero, Its nice when you can draw a cow tag with your second choice. Its amazing you can hunt the first rifle season for bull elk with zero points (where we go) and probably less hunters (according to Co. website). Co. allows 5% 0f the take for ML's. There are getting to be a lot of ML hunters, think how long it would take if they allowed scopes etc.

Redclub