Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Pref. Pt.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Colorado Pref. Pt.

Myself and a friend are applying for a Colorado Elk Preference Pt. for a future Muzzleloader license. Before we mail this out I'm asking if I have my information correct. 1- We have to put the Pref. Pt Hunt Code of E-P-999-99-P in as 1st choice. 2- We have to apply for at least the minimum non-residence license fee of $254. So I'm figuring have to also put in a Hunt Code for 2nd choice which would be a Muzzleloader Cow tag Code E-F-000-O1-M. 3- In the area for, if unsuccessful send me (X one), we'd mark Refund.
Then once the application is processed, and were given a pt credit were refunded the remaining balance.
Also do we have to pay for the Colorado Wildlife Habitat Stamp with this application?

I'd appreciate any input, I've only hunted Over the counter Colorado License's before. So this is a first for me.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:58 PM

Default RE: Colorado Pref. Pt.

Yes, you'll have to spend an extra $10 for the habitat stamp. From ages 19-64. Under or over those ages do not have to pay for that silly tag.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Am I correct on the hunt codes, and writing them in as choice #1 & #2?
Old 03-24-2007, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't have to fill in the second choice with any thing. Just fill in the hunt code for your preference point, and yes you will have to send in the full amount of money of $254. When you apply for a point only, your money minus $3 app. fee will be refunded. You may also be charged another $25! SO, it will probably cost you $28 when all is said and done.

Look on pages 3 and 4 under preference points and preference point hunt code and you'll see all the criteria.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know the exact amount that you send in, but there has always be an additional $ 0.25 tacked on for search and rescue. Be sure of the amount, because if you don't have the EXACT right amount (assuming you send them a check) your application will be rejected and you won't get a preference point.

As stated, you do NOT have to put anything for a second choice.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:45 PM

Save yourself a headache, Do it over the net.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:36 AM
Spike

FYI - Colorado preference points. Looking at the current brochure, you do put in the preference point code first. If you have not purchased a Colorado fishing, small game, combo, furbearing license, or big game license in previous year or current drawing license this year, they will charge you an additional $25. If youput in for any tag as 2,3,4th choices and are successful, you will not be charged the $25. Don't forget to mark theLeftover Draw box instead of refund. If unsuccessful in the main draw, this gives you first crack at the 1000's of leftover tags drawing in July and if you don't want any of those, then you can get a refund.Non-resident success rates for muzzleloading bull tag is 31.5% with 1 point needed. Muzzleloading cow tags usually do not need a point and success rates are much higher. The Habitat stamp is $5 per license with a total max cost of $10/year. DOW will not send your license until that is paid, so might as well pay it with the application. Also, if you have points saved up and do not apply for 3 years, your points get purged from the system.
Have Fun!
Living & Hunting in Colorado since 1977
Old 03-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I was thinking that seeing have to pay the minimum license fee of $254, being thats for a cow tag. You'd have to fill that in as well. But all I want right now is a Elk pt.

Thanks again!!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just apply for a unit that takes alot of points to draw. This way you will still get a point and won't be charged the extra $25.

. . . Rob
Old 03-26-2007, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rob,I don't believethat is correct? It is my understanding that just applying for a tag does not stop the $25 charge for a preference point. You have to have actually had a tag last year or draw a tag this year. Otherwise, I believe they still deduct the $25. Check out # 2 under preference points in the big game brochure. It says that "unsuccessful applicants" will be charged the fee.

Quick Reply: Colorado Pref. Pt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.