Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Colorado Muley Horseback hunt...9 pref points, where would you go? >

Colorado Muley Horseback hunt...9 pref points, where would you go?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Muley Horseback hunt...9 pref points, where would you go?

Old 10-22-2008, 11:22 PM

Default Colorado Muley Horseback hunt...9 pref points, where would you go?

So I'm planning ahead here...currently @ 7 deer points (resident), looking at a trip in 2011 (so, will have 9 in play then).

I'd really like to go into one of the alpine/sub-alpine wilderness areas, outfitted/guided on horseback (drop camp is probably more "my style", but given the 9 year timeframe...I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and go all out). Have never used a hunting guide before...I'm, as a general rule, a strict DIY guy, in good shape with a decade of Colorado deer/elk hunting under my belt.

Not really looking for a true monster, but a big representative buck from deep in the high country on public ground. This is pretty close to a one time deal, as I'm generally content to stomp around my home ground in GMU 181/17/18 with my family and friends, this would be a special treat. Bonus/secondary consideration is that by the time I get back to 9 points again, my son could join me on a repeat. 9 points doesnt get me to the "true" trophy units, but from what I can tell, opens up lots of the central/southern mountains.

So, colorado guys, the question, while vague (almost rhetorical, i guess)...where would you go? Anyone 'spent' a similar point amount and had a good experience?

Have just started the research process and it's daunting. Have just started lurking this board and have really enjoyed reading so far.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:48 AM
Banned

Default RE: Colorado Muley Horseback hunt...9 pref points, where would you go?

I went into the Marron Bells a few years back with ... 11 PP maybe ? Early season high country rifle.

CROWDED - this was way north of Cested Butte .... saw maybe some 150-160" bucks, never a true monster and I didn't want to pack out a 160" !!
Old 11-09-2008, 07:13 AM
Spike

I know this is kinda late, but just saw the post because I just got back from an elk hunt in Colorado. If it was me, I would save your points for a few years. The winter kill in the Gunnison, Basin area saw a winter kill that the hunters say had to be around 50 or more percent kill, from what I saw there I believe them. The DOW says 30 to 35%. I believe the hunters because the DOW said the Elk made it fine also. And they were way off. No sign at all compared to last year. A couple guys had luck there, but they had to be just lucky enough to see them. Run ways had no sign in them, lucky to see just a few elk rubs, and this was only in a few spots. What a huge winter kill. Way worse than what the DOW told me as I asked them repeatedly about before I sent my money in for a elk tag. Look into this before you waste your points for a few years. I hunted with a guy I met last year who is 66 years old, he had tried for a mule deer tag for 7 years. He read an article that said it should be great for huge mule deer in the area we hunted. He wished he had waited a few years for them to build back up before he wasted his points. He figures it will be to late for him to gain all the points again because he probably wont be able to get around by the time he can get another tag.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

Sangre De Cristo in southeastern Colorado. Their are some exceptionally large mule deer bucks in that part of the country. This wouldn't be an easy hunt, but your chances at a 180" or better mulie are very good if you put in the work. We have seen some 200" monsters up their almost everytime we go and scout it out. Hope that helps a bit