Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Colorado Elk/Deer Pref Pts >

Colorado Elk/Deer Pref Pts

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Elk/Deer Pref Pts

Old 06-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Colorado Elk/Deer Pref Pts

Unless you are hunting in a draw only unit your buddy can just buy an OTC elk (eiteher sex)tag for archery if he bow hunts. Archery and ML season run together in Colorado.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

When's the best rifle mule deer season in colorado? Don't they have 3 or 4 periods? Do any of these coincide with the rut?

I've got 3pts now.....considering a archery hunt next fall, as I believe I can draw a great area with for bow mule deer, not sure how many it takes for a great unit for rifle and the best season....thought it could take 8-12pts for the best season for the best units....which is why I'm thinking archery may be the way to do it sooner.

Archery and ML run together? or overlap? Is there a bow only period? or is it always bow/ML at the same time?
Old 06-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as the best season, it is the one where the big-un steps out in front of you! That can change yearly and is much dependent on weather. The rut on mule deer is aprox. mid November till the first part of December. The 4th season is considered a "rut" hunt, and they only give a handful of tags, which is why it is the hardest to draw.

Yes, archery and muzzy seasons overlap. Here are the seasons so you can answer your own questions: http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/...tesAndFees.htm

I think most people would say the earlier the better where archery deer is concerned.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:17 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Unless you are hunting in a draw only unit your buddy can just buy an OTC elk (eiteher sex)tag for archery if he bow hunts. Archery and ML season run together in Colorado.
I know, can't get him to go out there. Really don't want to make the trip myself. Wanted someone to help on gas, and just ahve a good time with a bunch of guys. Still thinking about hooking up with an outfitter to take me back and ahve the tent setup and all. I did that one year moose hunting, and it turned out to be a nightmare with a bunch of drunks from Ithica.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

When's the best rifle mule deer season in colorado? Don't they have 3 or 4 periods? Do any of these coincide with the rut?
You have quite a few years more to draw before you can hunt the last season . I took my biggest and first mule deer with an OTC tag in 1995. Afterr I shot him I almost stepped on a 30+ mule deer that made him look like a midget about 1/2 mile away while hunting Elk. The person I was hunting with who is a Colorado resident told me that during the rut you would be seeing much more of the same. I don't know if my heart could take that. No I am not giving out the unit number. I have about 4 more years before I can draw there
Old 06-16-2008, 03:51 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

You have quite a few years more to draw before you can hunt the last season . I took my biggest and first mule deer with an OTC tag in 1995. Afterr I shot him I almost stepped on a 30+ mule deer that made him look like a midget about 1/2 mile away while hunting Elk. The person I was hunting with who is a Colorado resident told me that during the rut you would be seeing much more of the same. I don't know if my heart could take that. No I am not giving out the unit number. I have about 4 more years before I can draw there
Oldelk, when a section or GMU has a high required pref point (like some requires 10 or more), does that mean its good, overhunted and needs a break, or could be both and just depends?

Old 06-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

if you ask for refund you dont give up your pref point, they take out a fee and you get the rest back, it is on the paperwork when you apply
Old 06-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oldelk, when a section or GMU has a high required pref point (like some requires 10 or more), does that mean its good, overhunted and needs a break, or could be both and just depends?
That means that it is managed specifically for trophy class elk. The more points needed the higher it is on everyones "gotta hunt there" list. This is the reason the are called "preference" points.

Basically the number of applicants is at least 10 times the number of licenses available each year.

If an area was hit hard with something like CWD a particular unit may suddenly become draw only to keep the heard numbers as steady as possible. Butit's not likely that many people will be applying to hunt that area,it is pretty much trophy bulls in draw onlyunits.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm thinking a archery mule deer hunt is probably closer in my future than that 3rd/4th season for rifle mule deer.

Looks like some of those 4th seasons may take 12pts when you can hunt them with 2pts archery....

but earlier archery better than later? I guess they haven't been hunted....but thats sound hotter warmer weather....wouldn't want to hunt them after ML, but that week before I'm thinking....

Also will all mule deer during the archery season be in velvet? 50/50? Can you just peel the velvet off?

Old 06-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Also will all mule deer during the archery season be in velvet? 50/50? Can you just peel the velvet off?
Yes, probably 90% or better mulies will be in velvet until mid-late archery season.

Quick Reply: Colorado Elk/Deer Pref Pts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.