Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wanting to hunt Elk

Old 01-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Wanting to hunt Elk

johnny - I hate to put a damper on your dream. But I just came back from an elk hunt in early November. I'm 54. Me, my friend and our guide walked 5 - 15 miles a day. Up and down mtns. Wake up at 3:15 and not get back till about 8:00 at night. You spend a lot of time glassing then walking and glassing some more. At sunset you could be 3 ridges over from your vehicle. And that's the easy part. If you're LUCKY enough to connect on a bull. You have to take out all edible meat. Then the cape/antlers. This will takeusaually two trips with 3 guys. Strong legs, back and heart is definately required.
My recommendation, before you even book a hunt, tell the outfitter your health condition and what your chances of success are - and ask him for references. Ask him if he uses horses or ATV to get game out. Good Luck and wish you well.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

johnny- I think your best bet is go with a outfitter that hunts off horse back. You can cover a lot more ground and go places atvs can't. The US forest service, Gallitan National Forest web site has a list of outfitters that guide in the forest.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll refer you back to Shato's post here. Talk to your doctor before you start training or have put a deposit down for something like his. Elk hunting is the most physically demanding of anything short of mountain goats or bighorn sheep.

There's an older guy I keep seeing in the mornings and evenings here out running with a pack on his back. I sort of figured he was getting ready to hunt goats or sheep. He told me a few days ago thathe's getting ready to hunt elk.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Spike

Horn
I'm surprized no one mentioned the late rifle seasons. If you can hack cold and snow (these are also physically demanding) you may score on an elk at low elevations with out going to the far ends of the earth. Pretty sure Co, Wy, ID all have late season elk. Elk can be seen in foothills and cedar break country when snows push them down. Also, perhaps you can entice a younger or fellow to come along by paying part of their license $ and make arrangements for a pack-out if you score. Still may be less than 5,000 - 6,000!

Good luck!
Old 02-02-2008, 07:13 PM

My I suggest a few books, living here in Colorado Springs I still have problems hunting in the mountains. I have gotten lost,wet,hurt and got stranded in a blizzard in 2006. Check out www.elkcamp.com. I have purchased his books, great for beginners and especially forhunters that have not hunted here before.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:31 PM

Hi!...we are new to the site...
Why not spend the $ on the airfare to come up here to Alaskawith your whole family, stay in a little B&B cabin in the woods here near Seward; you can fish for salmon and halibut in the bay; fish for grayling, rainbows and dolly varden in the rivers; and purchase non-resident moose and black bear tags for $400/$225 respectivly. Our moose season is from Aug 20th-Sept 20th; b bear is never closed, and you don't need a guide for either, up here.
I'm not saying it's not work...but it's definitly do-able,especially talking with the right people. Their are several horseback hunting opportunities here on the Kenai Peninsula, too. Your dream and attitude are in the right place...keep up the good workouts, keep an open mind your options open.....and don't feel like your age is a setback. My man is 56 y/o and we are still active sheephunters. By the way, he would be impressed with your 500/600 yard shots you mentioned. He is a firm believer in honing that ability and having the confidence in taking the long shots: God knows that reality takes place more often than not at times up here....whether for sheep, or goat, or bear (our average shot distances are between 250-425 yards).A good knowledge and feel of your ballistics is integral to the success of the long shot, as you know.
Flying meat / fish on the plane, and mailing freezer boxes back home is pretty straight forward, and relativly inexpensive.....You could even donate some moose for a local family here in the area....(hint,hint)....