Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Wanting to Hunt Midwest....need Help!! >

Wanting to Hunt Midwest....need Help!!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wanting to Hunt Midwest....need Help!!

Old 03-03-2008, 03:27 PM

Default Wanting to Hunt Midwest....need Help!!

I'm new to the forum, and I am looking for some insight on some Midwest hunting.

I live in Texas, and I am looking for a good outfitter to take ahunt with in the Midwest. I'm not sure what state would be the best.......I'm thinking of Illinois, Ohio,Kentucky, Indiana,and Missouri. Iam preferably looking for a rifle hunt for a couple of days. I don't need outragious amenities with the lodging and stuff, just an opportunity at a huge Midwestern buck!

Any and all help will be appreciated! Please email me at [email protected]. Thank you in advance!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:13 PM

Default RE: Wanting to Hunt Midwest....need Help!!

Well u'd best pratice with your shotgun with Slugs as most of the States you said allow Shotgun.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Bearkat,

You really do not need an outfitter to score a huge midwestern buck. There are plenty to be had on public land if you do your homework. I know the lease mentailty of Texas hunters because I lived in Austin and hunted south Texas for 4 years, but it's the first stigmaI'd suggest losing.

First of all you forgot to mention Kansas, which is closer to you than any of the states you mentioned. Drop Indiana. I lived there 40 years and although it's improved with "one buck", it will never be a Kansas or Illinois with a rut gun season. I have hunted all the states you mentioned. Missouri is improving greatly, but I'd still stick with the big three......Kansas, Iowa & Illinois. These states have limited guns during the rut for a long time and your chances are much greater there.

Kansas is close to you and even southeast Kansas is great. Lots of public land. Tags have been on draw but they are always playing with that so it might go OTC soon. In any case, Iowa & Kansas now are on a draw basis requiring 1 or 2 points to get a tag for archery, but for gun they have units you can draw the first year. You need to get preference points in both states if niothing else, just in case. Their deadline to apply in both states is about June 1st. Get your points this year regardless. Illinois is also on a draw basis but you can draw every year anyway.

You might look at special public land draws all these states have, but if I were you I'd try SE Kansas as it is closer and you can probablyget there more often to scout. Lots of big bucks there. Kansas has a walk-in hunting program that offers private land for public hunting. You can check out properties online actually. Some is pretty good stuff.

I've taken mature bucks almost every year off public land in these states, including two last year in Illinois. Both were 130" class, but there are bigger.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:51 AM

Thanks Zim for the info......yeah I did forget to put Kansas!!

I'm not against bow hunting or hunting on public land either.......I just know rifle hunting increases the odds and I'd like that!

I'm just looking for an opportunity at a solid buck in a different state!

I just need a direction to be pointed in and some insight.........thanks for the help!
Old 03-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

if you want rifle look into western kentucky, northern missouri, or eastern kansas.
if you can do a muzzle loader/ shotgun id deffinitely go with illinois or iowa
Old 03-04-2008, 05:01 PM

slug guns all are you can use or muzzerrloaders
Old 03-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Bearkat,

Personally I hunt with all weapons (archery, muzzleloader, shotgun & rifle), but in the states I mention the gun hunting is extremely limited during peak rut. That is why the bucks are big, and it is advantagious to bowhunt the peak rut. Most of mygun shot opportunities have been in bow range anyway, like this year's muzzleloader kill.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Bearkat, Here's that IL muzzleloader kill I mentioned. Not a giant, but not bad for public land. I easily could have taken him with a bow.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

If you're thinking about Kansas, think about triplecreekoutfitters.com. I've hunted with them for 3 years and have yet to be the least bit dissatisfied. I shot a 162" deer this past year and have seen several bucks around 200" in the past. I know that sounds outrageous, but it is true. Check out Richards website----you'll even get to see my picture.

Heath
Old 03-05-2008, 11:09 AM
JT
Spike

How can you talk about the Midwest without mentioning Buffalo County, WI? However, you will need to find an outfitter because it is majority private. A few public areas, but you run into alot of water.

Quick Reply: Wanting to Hunt Midwest....need Help!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.