Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Late Season Moose

Old 10-17-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Late Season Moose

I was side tracked this yr on my moose hunting during the rut due to being deployed in the Army but was just made aware of a hunt at the end of NOV. I was wondering if anyone had any late season tips for cold weather moose ( -20 or below).
Old 10-17-2007, 07:29 PM

Default RE: Late Season Moose

They are always moving around to stay warm and they also tend to herd up when it gets really cold out ive found so if there is one there is more then likely a few others but not always.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Late Season Moose

The majority of my late moose hunting experience have come from hunting them in the forest. Here the late season typicallyis the3rd week of Nov where temperature are usually well on the minus side and snow is on the ground to stay. I found most of my success hunting near meadows, cuts, landings,etcnatural grass areas that moose rely on as their food source during the winter months. I would sit in wait during the am and pm, in between i'd try and cut trackthen follow up onbedded moose, if the wind was to my advantage. While i prefer early season I have enjoyed good success in the late season by doing either of the above. I find moose rarily go far at any time in the forest and if you can get a pattern on them, use the wind in your favor and have patience in some extreme conditions you can enjoy success. I find this much more rewarding/enjoyable then what a number of late season "moose hunters" do here...drive the roads in hopes of catching them looking to lick salt!