Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bow Hunting Moose

Old 10-13-2007, 04:28 AM

Default Bow Hunting Moose

Hello everybody. I need some help. I was wondering if you could tell me some good bows for moose hunting. Some links to certain products would be great. Thank you.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Spike

Default RE: Bow Hunting Moose

any of todays top end bows are good.
I personally use the Bowtech Patriot, and some others in the camp use the Switchback and even a Darton.
Arrow and broadheads are personal choice and depends on how far you plan on shooting. I use the Axis 340 with a 100 grain tight point and have no problem shooting out to 45 - 60 yards. Others in camp use the metal jacket with a 125 grain G5

Old 10-18-2007, 02:24 PM

as dobber said, any top end bows are more then capable of puttin a moose on the ground, just as long as you have the proper draw weight and grain broadhead, i personally shot a PSE Bruin with a 62lb draw weight and a 100grain WAsP Hammer SST
Old 10-18-2007, 02:45 PM

It doesn't even need to be a top end bow. One of the biggest moose ever shot with a bow was taken with a 55 lb. longbow. The key is to know your equipment and operate responsibly within its limitations. (That bull was shot at less than 20 yards.) Educate yourself as much as possible about archery equipment and how it works, try out as many bows as you can within your set budget and pick the one that feels and shoots best for you. Then get some good instruction on how to shoot it properly, practice proper shooting under extreme conditions and really learn how to hunt. Any equipment you buy these days that is legal to hunt moose with in the area you're hunting will kill moose effectively, IF YOU KNOW AND OPERATE WITHIN ITS LIMITATIONS. ie) don't expect to kill moose at 60 yards with a 50# bow and 285 grain arrows and don't expect to draw an 80# bow at 0 degrees F that you've hardly ever shot and practiced with at 60*F, you'll be busting a nut trying to get it drawn as the moose walks away. Bowhunting is more about being a good hunter than it is about having the best gear.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Spike

biggest issue with any new bow hunter hunting moose is the "shock and awe" factor when you have a big bull swaying his head back and forth, "woofing" every other step and realizing how small you are compared to such a animal.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:46 PM

ORIGINAL: dobber

biggest issue with any new bow hunter hunting moose is the "shock and awe" factor when you have a big bull swaying his head back and forth, "woofing" every other step and realizing how small you are compared to such a animal.
BINGO! the closer they get the more intimidated and nervous you become, i had a bull charge me this year. I started doin my moose imitation with a big bull in full rut and he didnt even start swaying he just charged, he wasnt in the mood to mess around, luckily i had a tree to move behind, i also did that with a small panner this year and he started acting aggressive and i just lunged towards him and he took off, you really have to be aware of your surroundings with moose and where your best safe place to get to incase a bull gets a lil mad.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Spike

sure is fun though
Old 10-19-2007, 11:24 AM

Got that right, i prefer hunting moose in rut then deer in rut
Old 10-21-2007, 04:46 AM

Thanks for your answers guys!