Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

WY weather Region R?

Old 10-02-2007, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default WY weather Region R?

[blockquote]I'll be hunting Region R for the opener on the 15th and I am hoping someone will give me some information on local weather conditions. I will be hunting the southern end of the unit between Tensleep and Greybull. On past hunts in the area I've seen a lot more and better bucks when there has been significant snowfall up in the Cloud Peak Wilderness.
Would anyone care to share an update? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
[/blockquote]
Old 10-02-2007, 12:18 PM

Default RE: WY weather Region R?

There's supposed to be a small front coming in this weekend. But with Wyoming's weather that forecast could change several times before the 15th. And you never know what the weather's going to do in the mountains.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:10 PM

Absolutely impossible to forecast the Rockies/region that far off. At best, you may get a glimps at what it could be through Monday the 8th. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/

In this region you just pack for all possibilities. Sunscreen to snowshoes and everything in between. It could be snowin' and blowin' at Tensleep and swimming pool weather at Buffalo.

Sorry, but that's the facts. The deer are there UNTIL heavy snows fall and that moves them down to winter range. So you just have to make the best of it, depending on conditions, when you get there.

Good luck, and good hunting.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies guys. I know about how variable the weather can be this time of year. This will be my sixth hunt in Region R since '98. I even lived in the Cheyenne area (Francis E. Warren AFB)for a few years many, many moons ago.

I was more concerned with what the weather has been doing up to now. Maybe I didn't phrase my question very well. What I'd like to know is if there has been any sudstantial snowfall up in the Cloud Peak and what moisture levels have been like. I had seen mention of some recent fires in the Bighorn Forest. Does anyone know the locations of the fires, and how extensive they were? Is there any type of prohibition on open fires or cutting wood in place?

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:50 PM

There aren't any fires in BigHorn National Forest right now. To my knowledge, there hasn't been any substantial snowfall in the Cloud Peak Wilderness this fall. Its a little too early for the snow to stick for more than a day or two. The BigHorns got a lot of precipitation this fall, but its been a typical summer and fall so far as I know.