WY weather Region R? >

WY weather Region R?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

WY weather Region R?

Old 10-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default WY weather Region R?

[blockquote]I'll be hunting Region R for the opener on the 15th and I am hoping someone will give me some information on local weather conditions. I will be hunting the southern end of the unit between Tensleep and Greybull. On past hunts in the area I've seen a lot more and better bucks when there has been significant snowfall up in the Cloud Peak Wilderness.
Would anyone care to share an update? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
[/blockquote]
Old 10-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: WY weather Region R?

I'll be in regoin R alsoon the 15th. Still haven't decided the exact spot but may be at the top of the zone map around Shell. Did you get BLMmaps from the Worland office? This is my first time hunting in the Big Horn's and don't know what to expect. I do know what the others posted about the weather though, bring fall and winter clothing! We are staying in a slide in camper with all the amenities and have the option of moving from thehunt area without worrying about fiding lodging. I am sort of wishing we pushed it off a little until the snows come because of the whole winter range thing but I'm sure you will still see deer. This is my first DIY mulie hunt out West and I am starting to question my abilities as far as finding game out there since its a whole different ball game compared to back East! Are you doing a DIY? I was in the upper Medicine Bow last year lope and coyote hunting and spotted TONS of deer in the valleys and semi plains area. But from whatI understand this area is a totally different way of hunting mostly because of the rough terrain. I also may bring the fly rod just in case but don't even know if it is worth it?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:32 PM

There is a little snow on top. Not much but it will help. Be sure and contact the National Forest and find out what you can, Maps etc. about the fires and whhat is burnt.
GOOD LUCK
WYOWIRES
Old 10-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

NJ Headhunter - This will be my sixth DIY hunt in Region R. I carry BLM and USGS Topo maps, along with my trusty GPS and compass. You'll enjoy hunting mulies. The WYG&F Biologist for the area told me that their studies show thenorth end of the area up around Shell has the highest deer densities and buck/doe ratios. I've found that if you get off the beaten path you'llsee more and bigger bucks. A word of caution though,if you are going tohike back in off the roads be prepared. Weather can change, and you will need to be prepared to get your game out once you take it. It is a bit different than hunting whities back east where you can drag him a short distance and then drive the truck/four wheeler right next to him to load him up. Bring your knife, game bags, a good pack, and a strong back!

WYOWIRES - The snowfall up in the Cloud Peak and mouisture levels in general were what I was concerned about. I had read that there had been some fires on the Forest. Do you know where the fires were, and how extensive they were? Do you know if there are any prohibitions in place on open fires orcutting wood? Any info you can provide will help, and be much appreciated. I plan on calling the ForestOffice also.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Typical Buck

RURU12, thanks for the heads up. I will be packing all of my winter and fall clothes expectingthe weatherto change at the drop of a hat. I don't plan on hiking but a couple miles off the trails and I definitly willcarry a GPS, sat phone and a compass. I have yet to get my topo's but plan on getting them this week. The best tool so far I have found was google Earth. I can see access roads, streamsand terrain but unfortunatly I can'tuse it when I'm out there unless I print some screen shots. I will bethere from the 15th until 20th and hopefully come home with a freezer to fill! I have a question for you all, how and where can I get my deer tested for CWD? That isGod willingI am lucky enough to connect. One more question, I plannd on leaving the campsite in the mornings by use of ATV and plan on keeping backup stuff on the atv as far asextra water,gear and hiking the rest of the way. Do you think this is okay? Do you use one out there? I am also bringing a packable game cart to leave on the ATVand was wondering if its worth it?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:35 AM

As of last year, there were only 2 cases of CWD ever reported in region R. Both cases were down in area 41. I don't think you need to worry about it. http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/...ary6-15-07.pdf

I don't think people will mess with your stuff if you leave it on your ATV, especially if you are on an ORV trail. Just to be safe, though, I think I'd put it all in an ATV bag to keep it out of the rain, and that way you could put a little padlock on the zipper if you're really worried about your stuff being stolen. Also, if you don't have a gun scabbard for your ATV, keep your gun in a case while you're driving. Otherwise you'll get dust all over it.

The game cart is a great idea. Especially if you're going to be packing the animal out by yourself.

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:53 AM

ORIGINAL: RuRu12

WYOWIRES - The snowfall up in the Cloud Peak and mouisture levels in general were what I was concerned about. I had read that there had been some fires on the Forest. Do you know where the fires were, and how extensive they were? Do you know if there are any prohibitions in place on open fires orcutting wood? Any info you can provide will help, and be much appreciated. I plan on calling the ForestOffice also.
The Bone Creek fire was in the Shell Canyon area on the NE side of highway 14. It burned about 13,500 acres. Was 95% contained as of 9/15. That means its out now.
http://www.inciweb.org/incident/maps/full/945/2/

The Little Goose fire was just south of BigHorn in Little Goose canyon and on Stumpy Ridge (where all of the cabins are, by Red Grade road). It was only active for a short period in August. It burned 4827 acres.

There will be signs telling you if there is a fire restriction or not as soon as you drive into Bighorn National Forest. There are no wood cutting restrictions if you cut the dead stuff that is already down.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Note: Some people may mess with your stuff. I just came from up above Dubois elk hunting and someone took our gas can with it full of gas. We had two others so we were ok but it just makes you mad that you can not trust anyone these days.

There were some stormes where we were at but I am not sure they will make it over to the Big Horn Mt range. We got about 3-4 inches Wednesday morning up high and rain down lower.

Heard lots of Wolves at night and seen very little elk sign and nothing recent. I think the wolves pushed things out of where we were at. We did see some nice mule deer.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:42 PM

Where above Dubois were you, Wheatley?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

People messing with your stuff left in the back country is not a joke! For some this may be their life line and the difference between someone getting stuck in the middle of know where far from a camp. I take this type of thing very seriously.
I have one question about the deer being higher up in the mountains. Do they come down to winterin bigger or smaller groups? Also when does the rut start or when do they start the chase phase? Why can'tyou go up and get them or at least try to get farther up and head some of them offon the transition down to the foot hills?

Quick Reply: WY weather Region R?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.