Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Another one bites the dust! >

Another one bites the dust!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Another one bites the dust!

Old 09-27-2007, 06:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Another one bites the dust!

Nothing wrong with that one...a real beauty and I bet it will be great eating. My only point for bringing up the safety thing Hemi is because we have many younger members who get information and develop habits based on these forums. The one thing I have learned after spending approximately 50 years in the field is that safety needs to be automatic...every time. When people make decisions and compromise safety that is when accidents happen. For instance when I make a shot on game I automatically eject the spent casing, chamber anotherbullet and put the gun on safe if I don't intend on shooting another round. I do it the same way every time even while on the range and as a result I always know the status of my gun. I have seen hunters running up to the downed animal with their gunstill with the empty casing in the chamber as well as others with a live round and no safety on. When I retrieve the dead animal I unload the gun before I field dress and drag or pack it out. I try to leave nothing to chance and treat an unloaded gun as if it is loaded. In addition, I always check to get a visual on the safety while in the field to ensure that it didn't get accidentally knocked off. It really doesn't matter whether you are on public or private land. I don't mean to be preaching to you but I had to mention it in the hopes that it will impact someone and prevent something bad from happening. Once again congratulations on a great trophy and a story you will be able to pass on for generations.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:37 AM

CI, good post, great advice and point well taken!...have a great season!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

I couldn't imagine! Congrats!
Old 09-28-2007, 11:08 AM

WOW what a hunt CONGRATS!!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story and great bull! Thanks for sharing, getting excited myself to get out in the woods now.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on a great hunt. Nice bull.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:38 AM
Typical Buck

Good Job! There is such a thing as being toooo close! (grin)

ElkNut1
Old 09-29-2007, 10:26 PM

elknut,

Im sure you have that happen quite often with the way you guys hunt!!....for me that was a little spooky having horns sticking past me!!! I much prefer them a 100 yds away or so!! Congrats on the nice bulls and trip you guys had this year!!
Old 10-07-2007, 10:16 PM

This morning a very good friend of mine smoked a real nice 6x6 not more than 75 yrds from where my bull fell! Same type of expereince only he shot his bull from 50yds not 18". His bull had a herd of 40 cows with him. The lead cow led the herd onto our ranch and the bull followed until he was right in front of my partners set up and he let fly with a 180grn silvertip out of his .308 pea shooter!! One well placed shot directly through the heart and the bull tipped over 30 yds later. Was a great morning for us. He has hunted elk for 20+ yrs and never tagged one so he was ecstatic. 2 for 2 on bulls here at Trickle Creek Ranch!! I just cant wait for them whitetails to fire upfor the rut!!
Old 10-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Good going.