Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Wyoming Elk Hunting North of Cody >

Wyoming Elk Hunting North of Cody

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming Elk Hunting North of Cody

Old 09-25-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Wyoming Elk Hunting North of Cody

My hunting partner just had to cancel out on me due to family medical emergency. I have general elk tag for WY and will be traveling from Washington this Friday to Wyoming for the October 1 rifle opener. Problems are my local Cody resident was suppose to take us with horses to the high country and now he has to work-rough necking. I'm looking for some help any help, its my first time elk hunting in WY and am a DIY hunter- maybe I need to rethink that for this trip? Any information would be great. Thanks
Old 09-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wyoming Elk Hunting North of Cody

I would think the thing to do would be to try to find and outfitter. It's last but I wonder if there are any outfitters out there that need a last minute fill in?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:50 PM

Default RE: Wyoming Elk Hunting North of Cody

Wow!
First of all, the only areas north of Cody for general license are 50 and 52. 56 also, but is west and south. You need to be careful about some of that area because a lot of it is wilderness and non residents can't hunt wilderness without a licenced resident, or an outfitter. Sucks, I know.
Doesn't look like a lot of it is in Nat'l forrest either.
Looks like there's quite a bit of BLM, but who knows where you should go.
If your buddy in Cody has to work, at least he might be able to tell you where to go and have maps.
An outside shot would be to call the Game&Fish main office and find out the name and number of a Cody game warden or biologist. They might be able to help.
Call the Chamber in Cody, talk to Gene Bryant, and see if there are any lists of local landowners willing to let you hunt. The land owners might charge a "tresspassing fee", but could be a better guarantee for less than an outfitter.