Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 830 Yard Shot Drops an Elk >

830 Yard Shot Drops an Elk

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

830 Yard Shot Drops an Elk

Old 08-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 830 Yard Shot Drops an Elk

I have a friend who went to Marine sniper school and graduate #1, the things that a trained and practiced person can do with the right tools are incredible.

What is the difference in a trained and practiced person taking an 800 yard shot vs a "average" hunter taking it at 200 yds? Ethics tell you to use the proper gun for the proper game and stick you your comfortable range. That' it.

Some say hunting is about ...., well you get to decide how hunting matters to you and your methods, as long as:
- its legal
- its within your skill level
- its safe.

More power to you.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Spike

I own the "Beyond Belief" video and the host John Burnssays sevaral times you should never take a shot in the wild, you can make repeatedly at the range. After calibrating their scopes and rifle and range finder, they make loads specific for their equipment. They practice on coyotes to insure accuracy during the regualr seasons. These guys spend five times the amount of time gearing up for season as the average hunter, and they shoot better at 700 yards, then most do at 200, so who is unethical? If most guys had their commitment to excellence and ethics, there may be nary a wounded animal in any season, I admire the dedication and shot performance.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:58 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

but, but, but....
What if someone out there just don't like them or the idea of what they do.... never mind how they do it.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

but but but what if after all the high tech BS, the animal takes a step which at that range, there is no compenstaing for. Does the high tech BS rule the critters movements too? I am saying limit the chances for Murphy to take over. I have done all the long range shooting stuff and as I say its great for targets and shows the skill and dedication you folks admire without the chances of wounding an animal. A chance that is, thats just not called for. I am done with this one I am sure that most understand where I am coming from.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:20 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Bye, bye archery (especially recurve)and blackpowder (especially flintlock).... too slow.... too much time delay.... if the critter takes a step, then there is no compensating for it.

I'm not a big fan of either archery or blackpowder; however, I leave those who wish to pursue it free to do so without prejudice, especially if they strive to optimize their performance and limit/overcome their respective inherent disadvantages.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

OH I don't know about that. Archers like Robin Hood could anticipate red stag movements, defy gravity, dupe cross winds and I am sure
800 yard instant kills on Red stags was the norm. He could let fly a second arrow to bleed out and gut the critter while he hiked on over to it. He never did get so he could do it all with arrow though. He would have been more famous had they had video equipment back then.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:13 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

OH I don't know about that. Archers like Robin Hood could anticipate red stag movements, defy gravity, dupe cross winds and I am sure
800 yard instant kills on Red stags was the norm. He could let fly a second arrow to bleed out and gut the critter while he hiked on over to it. He never did get so he could do it all with arrow though. He would have been more famous had they had video equipment back then.
??

...... thus what?

Perhaps a case of "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then try baffling them with BS."
Old 08-15-2007, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't shoot while the animal is walking, you shoot when he stops, has his ears up, and is sniffing intently, because he's also trying to not move and not reveal himself, most of the time deer don't move when they lock up like that, gives you about 5 seconds to shoot for sure.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Nice shot! Practice does make perfect. I prefer to hunt elk up close. I called mybull to 12 yards and took him withmy bow. Getting one of these animals close is actually more exciting than making the shot. I like hearing their breath!
Old 08-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's glorifying the irresponsible acts of a few.

I and most hunters respect the game animals too much to pull stunts like that.