Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

40 yard shot

Old 01-30-2004, 10:40 AM

Default 40 yard shot

iam going to shoot a vipertec and 400 grian beman arrows and scorpoin xp broadheads i can shoot very accuratelly out to 50 yards but for hunting i can shoot 40 yards.. i know to much can happen but i have a range finder and i would nt take the shot if it aint perfect.... the bow should shoot 280-285 fps with 30 inch draw and 70 pounds please respond
Old 01-30-2004, 10:56 AM

Default RE: 40 yard shot

Not exactly sure what you want people to respong to. Are you looking for people to say it's ok to take 40 yard shots at deer?

If so - Only you can make the decision to shoot...don't shoot. Every situation is different, I have had deer at 10 yards that I couldn't shoot. You will get a bunch of guys telling you the distances that they shoot. Bottom line - you are the one that will be releasing the arrow at an animal. Do you feel 100% confident in that shot?

Personally I don't feel comfortable at that range....so I don't take that shot.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

At 40 yards, once the arrow is released and beyond your control, one small step for the intended target can lead to a bunch of giant steps for you tracking a poor shot...

Sometimes 30 seems like too far... Maybe if it was asleep while standing broadside...
Old 01-30-2004, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

At 40yds the animal has enough reaction time to make it a bad shot. I've shot antelope at ranges that everyone would call me a liar. But the thing is if the animal knows of your presence and you shoot at 40yds its all going down hill fast. I practice up to 70yds but its all for fun not hunting. I want my animal close as I can get, that's the fun of bowhunting.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Put a small stick out at 40 yrds. I don't think that most people would see it against a brown back ground. It all depends on the situation. But keep that stick in mind before you shoot.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:28 AM

Alot can happen on a live animal verses a target, when shooting at this distance, the closer you are, you will have a better chance of putting that arrow where it needs to strike, for the kill.Good Luck
Old 01-31-2004, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Martin Cougar

Not exactly sure what you want people to respong to. Are you looking for people to say it's ok to take 40 yard shots at deer?

If so - Only you can make the decision to shoot...don't shoot. Every situation is different, I have had deer at 10 yards that I couldn't shoot. You will get a bunch of guys telling you the distances that they shoot. Bottom line - you are the one that will be releasing the arrow at an animal. Do you feel 100% confident in that shot?

Same here martin couger! just becouse you have the abilty to shoot 40yards! Don`t mean you should take a shot at 40yards! Only the hunter in front of the animal can make that call! The closer they are the better chance you have of a leathal kill. P.S most of the shots i have ever taken have been around 10-15 maby 20 yards and the furtherest shot i ever made on a deer was 42 yards in 1988, A nice 8pt he is on the wall today in my house.It was the only shot i had and there was no wind and i knew i could make that shot. today is a diffrent story i am a older and wiser than i was back then and a little more out of shape Today my max distance is hunting is 20-25 yards. I fill very confident and try not to shoot any futher. But thats my call to make! thats the fun of bowhunting
Old 01-31-2004, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

I have killed groundhogs at 35 and 33 yards and a deer almost at a trot at 30 yards. I would feel comfortable shooting at a deer out to 50 yards if conditions were ideal and I knew the range. That is the biggest factor for me, range. My dad killed one of the smallest groundhogs I've seen at 46 yards, which was a combination of great range estimation and shooting ability. If you have the shooting ability and feel comfortable taking the shot, then you should take it. That's just my opinion and I know most other people disagree but that's what I think. I practice out to eighty yards and shoot tournament archery. All of which helps as far as the mechanics of the shot, but the situation is totally different when hunting.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Dominant Buck

There was a time I wouldn't think twice about a 50yd shot but, my bow hasn't been on. If you pratice and hit it then go for it. I know this will piss off some but you shouldn't feel guilty about not finding a deer. They are out of control in a lot of areas and they never go to waste. Racoons, foxes and buzzards have to eat as well.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I certainly wouldn't want to take that shot ,I shoot accurately at 50yrds but still wouldn't try it on a Deer ,but I would take that shot on a moose since they don't move so quickly.

nubo

Quick Reply: 40 yard shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.